95 Disco v8 manual lost 5th +reverse

bigdru

Car lost reverse tonight just when it was needed lol,also 5th has gone to.

still drives ok in other gears.

If you put in reverse and let it roll backwords down hill, lift clutch it locks up,

Any help would be great

thanks DRU

Not unless you change some bits over which may or may not be straightforwards depending on whether the boxes are the same age or not. Either way it means changing input shaft and bellhousing which is into major gearbox surgery not a 5 min job. The ratios are also slightly different I think. Get a Tdi box.

is the lt77 a straight swap for the r380?

No they are different lengths from what I remember so I think you will need a differeing length of bell housing to what you have currently. If I'm correct it will need to be a longer one as the Lt77 is a shorter box than the R380 but I am sure someone will be along to clarify that.

All the best

Ryck

gooday, I had the similar problem on my DISCO TDI/R380.

turned out to be the pressed steel bracket inside the gear selector. this bracket locates the gear lever in 3/4 line. the pressing had cracked thru. I had to remove the center console, pop rivetts that hold the flexible membrane and top cover of the selector area.

I squashed the crack back into shape and mig welded the pressing lightly and tried it out. once I figured out how to adjust for 3/4 I welded the thing solid in any stress points I could see.

at the time the DISCO was just out of warrantee and the dealer wasn't interested and said firmly that no R380's have shown this problem.

I hope youre problem is simple to fix as removing and replacing the pop rivetts is fun as well as the spring on the pressing.