3 wipers

You need a wiper motor with more power than the LR one has, we burnt several out. Made them last longer by fitting Series wiper blades (shorter) but still not a happy setup.

Mechanics-wise you just need an extra wheelbox, wiper arm, and a drill & hacksaw. :ph34r:

As an alternative plan to improved wiping - I have seen a few dual wipers. Very simple conversion with a bolt that holds each blade above and below the wiper arm using the existing connecting point on the arm. No drilling required. You now end up with 4 blades.

They also add the water spout to each arm using soft flexi hose extensions so that it actualy moves along with the blade and dispenses the water between the two blades - before the wind blows it off your screen ;)

The standard motor will drive there wipers if it is in reasonable condition. The biggest job is getting all the top of the dash off! You will need to cut the drive tube and flare the new ends to ensure the wheel boxes grips them ok. If you don't, the drive cable will force them out - been there done that..

Drivers wiper stays in original position. Centre wiper goes on exact centre line of screen. Left wiper goes in what was the extreme left unused and blanked hole for LHD.

You can then rearrange the blanking plugs and while you have the dash apart, fit twin washers as well.

All arms are standard 90/110. Drivers and centre wiper blades are 11" - I used Bosch ones. Left blade needs to be 10". Halfords used to do an own brand one that would fit, but it seems to be discontinued now, so I ended up getting some from a motor factors.

I did mine about 10 years ago and the wheel boxes are now getting worn and "clack" so it all needs to come apart again - I think I only bought one new wheel box and greased up and tightened the originals. I seldom need to use fast speed anymore, slow speed is usually ok.

And yes, I must sort out the rust on the bulkhead this year!

post-237-0-64587500-1297191410_thumb.jpg

2 wiper set up is poor and leaves a large unswept area on the passenger side and also top centre of screen. 3 wiper set reduces these and with greater overlap in swept area of the wipers, allows the screen to be cleared more effectively. High speed setting is seldom if ever required.

2 wiper set up is poor and leaves a large unswept area on the passenger side and also top centre of screen. 3 wiper set reduces these and with greater overlap in swept area of the wipers, allows the screen to be cleared more effectively. High speed setting is seldom if ever required.

Oh, can't say I've ever noticed.