200tdi timing.

hello all.

i have just check my timing.. 11 months ago the belt got changed and is due to be changed again.

anyway i locked the fly wheel.. and then took the inspection plate off the fuel pump. then try to stick the pinn in.. when you lock the fuel pump it should be locked at 11oclock possision.

well while trying to stick the pinn in was wonder where the hell is the pinn hole for the timing..

after more inspection.. it is sitting at around 7-8 oclock possision!!

im quite concerned at this? but if the fuel pump is that out. how on earth is it still running!!!

just to add though. my mum 90 threw a belt of the pullys and the fuel pump was also sitting at the 7-8 possision and still ran but wasnt running right..

mine how ever is running like normal.. no starting issues and loss of power...

i can only think that it the belt has jump quite abit.

any ideas people?

ta

sam

Also, there are often two slots in the flywheel - one i beleive is variable size (probably part of the balancing process?) and the other is the actual slot to lock the wheel. Double check where the slot is when the TDC mark is lined up as described above.

ahh that might be 2 slots.. well im changing my clutch tomorrow so i will have a propper look if thers 2 slots..

see i assumed that thers just one slot on the fly wheel.. i will take not of the TDC mark on the damper..

cheers chaps.. i will be able to sleep togight now lol. instead of worrying like hell.

do you recon that ther emight be 2 slots on a 300tdi engines then?

cheers

sam

If you look at brake discs, they grind a section out to balance them i beleive. I would think that the flywheel is the same - its formed almost balanced, but needs fine tuning, hence the second slot thats cut out. Imagine what an unbalanced wheel feels like....they'd have to balance a flywheel in a similar way i'd have thought, so yes i reckon the 300 could be the same*. Like Ralph says, the slot you need to get right for the timing is a narrow one and the damper should line up woth the rib on the timing case at the same time.

*edit or perhaps not seeing Ralphs post (made while i was writing!)