how to replace halfshaft seal on a td5

Tibout

hi

i've seen that they don't do the seal for the back but there's one for the front and i've order it. just wondering if i need to take everything apart or ithere's an easier way. if anyone there had done it your help will be more than wellcome.

thanks

thierry

hi

i've seen that they don't do the seal for the back but there's one for the front and i've order it. just wondering if i need to take everything apart or ithere's an easier way. if anyone there had done it your help will be more than wellcome.

thanks

thierry

Hi,

The half shaft seal should be fairly straightforward. Part No. is FTC4822 (IIRC)

Here's how I did it recently:-

1. Take all the usual precautions - axle stands etc and remove the wheel from the offending corner.

2. Release the ABS sensor plug on the inner wing and pass the cable through the hole and release all the clips to the hub.

3. Unscrew the two bolts and release the brake caliper, remove caliper and pads and hang clear of the hub on a piece of rope/wire.

4. Undo the two bolts securing the caliper carrier and remove.

5. Undo the countersunk Phillips screw and remove the brake disc.

6. Undo the four bolts behind the hub assembly and tap out the hub and wheel bearing assembly.

7. Carefully remove the hub and halfshaft whilst threading the ABS wiring out as well.

8. Remove the old oilseal.

9. Tap in the new oilseal (make sure it's the right way round).

10. Re-assembly is the reverse of removal (so says Mr Haynes).

11. Once on it's wheels check the diff oil level.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Scrumps.