RV8 Question

need4speed

If i use a cam that has 0.465" lift on the inlet AND exhaust sides, will i get away with not machining the valve guides?

I seem to remember hearing that you could get away with not machining the guides unless the cam had 0.5" or more of lift?

Phil

Rockers are 1.6: 1 ratio, not 1.5!

Maximum valve lift is 0.44", most cams are specified by the valve lift with stock rockers, so this is the figure you need to check.

If you are AT ALL unsure, ring the supplier, I have found Paul @ V8 Tuner very helpful in the past.

It now turns out that the heads may already have shortened guides!

You see this engine isnt for my 110 - its already built and installed. Its for a capri. Speaking to my father (whos engine is going in the car) he cant remember if hes shortened the guides as the engine has been sitting so long ready to be transplanted.

Is there any way i can tell if the guides have been shortened already without taking the heads back off again?

Phil

What era is the engine? Is it the later 10 bolt heads or earlier 14 bolt? It 10 bolt, once shortened, the step that the seal sits on is very close to the surface of the head, BBC had a really good picture of this in his build thread, but sadly the pics have gone :(

This is what I believe the stock guide looks like:

http://www.turner-en...es/bronzeg1.jpg

So from that you may be able to judge yours against this picture.

Earlier heads do not have the same step in the guide making it a bit more difficult to assess....

As you don't want to take the heads off again, I suppose you could measure compression before the guide top hits the spring retainer? I think I have a stock head around here to test against if you do it this way...

Are the guides bulleted on the valve side? If so then they are probably shortened as well... I'd surprised if someone went to the bother of bulletting them and not grinding the top off them.