Can anyone identify this winch?

well it looks like i'm visiting all the right people this week! i've just been given this winch by a mate who used it on his recovery truck. to be fair, he abused it on his recovery truck, using jump leads on the terminals to winch in, and switching polarity to spool out. the clutch seems tohave snapped off at some point, and now there is just a split pin keeping the shaft in place. odd thing is the way the motor and gearbox are on the same side and thwe solenoid box mounts at the other end of the drum, wich visually balances the thing, but still seems a little odd.

i know some winches (8274's, maybe others) have all the gubbins on one end, and i know this aint one i've seen before. i'm guessing this was designed for road recovery rather than 4x4 purposes as all the electrics are waaaaay down in the muck and water when mounted this way.

so does anyone know what it is? the motor is roughly the same size as a coke can, but a bit longer. there are 2 terminals on the end of it, i thought you needed F1, F2 and A or summit?

i've had it suggested it could be a superwinch of some sort and used as a base, could be rebuilt into somthing half decent? there is some trace's of red paint on the casing either side of the drum.

any ideas of what it is and the best way to service, test and source spares would be much appreciated. cheers. :)

sorry the picture doesn't show much, but there's nothing really to show but dirt!

post-5936-0-20343400-1297355924_thumb.jpg

nice one chaps, now i've got a starting place, at least. Is it going to be woefully underpowered? I'm not planning on doing any serious mud pugging in the hicap, so i supppse somthing's better than nothing! I know a guy who'll fabricate a bumper using the cradle i got with it for a peanut or 2, so that's a bonus. Any tips for the refurb?