Insulation....

TobyMellin

Hi All

I'm at the stage now where my 90 Truck Cab has been stripped of bits of sound proofing it had that had rotted, and it's rather loud!

I've read a few topics about insulation, but what's the best stuff to use? I've noticed a few people are using camping mats? Others using Kingspan (which ould be ideal as I have a storage room full of it!)

Any other options?

Any help is much appreciated!

Toby

I must admit I keep looking at that accoustic matting thats made to fit over the transmission tunnel and footwells thinking that it looks nice, should be much quieter and warmer. But at that price Il keep looking for now, mine is mainly used for offroading after all. (I still keep it really clean inside though, hate mess in a vehicle)

I bought the wright off road system, and whilst it has quietend it down a bit, it is still a defender at the end of the day. However, the mat is very practical, I can still pressure wash it out and it does look very nice and rugged. To really silence the beast you will need to strip the interior and install "Dynamat" or an equivalent as well as the wright off road system. Having said all that, mine is a 300tdi and I can have a conversation easily at 60mph (pretty much top speed with the off road wheels on). I would have thought, with a v8 and the matting (and the fact yours is a truckcab and so don't have big panels drumming all the time), you will be happy.

I must admit I keep looking at that accoustic matting thats made to fit over the transmission tunnel and footwells thinking that it looks nice, should be much quieter and warmer. But at that price Il keep looking for now, mine is mainly used for offroading after all. (I still keep it really clean inside though, hate mess in a vehicle)

Yehhh I've seen a few options, like the fully moulded ones you can get :o But at about £350 I think I'll stick to some kingspan and rubber mat ;)

I hate the mess aswel, but the bare floors and seatbox are getting to me now...plus the girlfriend refuses to get in it! :lol:

I bought the wright off road system, and whilst it has quietend it down a bit, it is still a defender at the end of the day. However, the mat is very practical, I can still pressure wash it out and it does look very nice and rugged. To really silence the beast you will need to strip the interior and install "Dynamat" or an equivalent as well as the wright off road system. Having said all that, mine is a 300tdi and I can have a conversation easily at 60mph (pretty much top speed with the off road wheels on). I would have thought, with a v8 and the matting (and the fact yours is a truckcab and so don't have big panels drumming all the time), you will be happy.

Hmm interesting. I'll be carrying out a 300tdi conversion in the next month or so hopefully, so might be worth waiting till all that is done.

To be honest mine never really goes on the motorway, the 2.5td engine tops out around 55, and the 33inch BFG's don't keep it very straight either! :lol:

You need to be careful with underlay as soundproofing in a defender. Isnt some types of underlay open-cell ie will soak up water if it gets wet?? I may be wrong.

Im using 10mm thick closed-cell foam under the chequerplate on my wheelboxes. I will be gluing the stuff onto the inside of the sidepanels too. For the load area i will be using 17mm thick rubber stable matting which is as tough as it gets. The insides of the doors will be getting self adhesive dynamat stuff to stop any resonance.

haha i reckon with the price of "proper" sound acoustics and fitting / purpose fit matting it would cost about the same price as a old V8 Auto disco. then let the transplant happen! haha

i have used that 1 piece mating from Exmoor trim with the seat box mat too works very very well. You could have a conversation very easily, rather than something that resembles a argument at crusing speed!