whats my series worth?

series 3

unfortunately it has come to pass that i have to sell my land rover :(

moving house, paying bills and the capri (bill for welding up to a shocking £1200 now) have pushed me to make a tough choice and it looks like ive got to lose the landy as its the only thing ivegot worth any money (hopefuly).

a fellas coming to look at it tomorow. ive a rough idea what to sell it for but il tell you whats on it and you can tell me what you think its worth. (im in northern ireland and currently there arent any for sale on the large websites in this country. does this affect the price for the better?)

its a 1983 series 3 long wheelbase ex military landy with three previous owners.

the work done on it:

bodywork stripped

four new outriggers welded on and a new rear section aswell (pretty neat job if i say so myself :D )

chassis taken to bare metal, primed and hammerited.

new brake lines made, new drums, shoes, cylinders and springs on all corners

new slave cylinder for clutch

bulkhead footwells both replaced, painted and sealed

chequer plate floor panels fitted

all leafs replaced with long travel performance shocks fitted

new full exhaust system fitted (standard)

new battery

engine runs lumpy at idle but starts easy even after 6 months out, revs nicely and drives well

gearbox in good nick but can only go into third at the moment for reasons unknown

bodywork:

would need a respray to look its best

from bulkhead forward in perfect nick

doors need large repair or replacement

interior of cab complete and in good condition

back section in repairable state but some aliminium corrosion on underside runners and safety belt mount points

hard top in good condition

if you wanted to buy it what would you be prepared to pay for it?

also any tips on haggling/selling would be much appreciated

cheers

I put mine on pistonheads and it was sold, sight unseen, within 24 hours. Free advert, too. I got a lot of calls from traders, they must sit on it hitting refresh. Suits me, no haggling over price and less likely to have any problems with the sale.

I would have though £2k on a good day. The gearbox is a big problem, it means you can't really test drive it.

The good chassis and bulkhead are plus points the gearbox as said is going to be a big stumbling block as will be the paint.

How much tax and test on it! if none i would say you will be very lucky to get a grand for it.

But im not sure how car prices work in Ireland i seem to remember they are quite a bit dearer.

For a decent idea of prices look on e bay quite a few on there.

Lynall

With no tax or mot, and a knackered gearbox I'd say about £200.

Mate of mine had a 1983 ex military 109, that there was nothing wrong with at all, and had had all the work done for the mot, he just hadnt got round to having it tested, and he struggled like hell to get £200 for it!

It seems no-one wants 109's these days!

Jon