abs issues

Tibout

hi

i'm having some trouble with the abs system. it's a disco 1 300tdi. so sometimes when i'm driving the abs light comes on but its kind of a very fade lights and turn off after a few seconds. also sometimes the abs over-react specially if im turning at very low speed (like getting in the drive way) i read some articles that if the abs is not working properly it could disable the whole braking system! and also there's a code reading method thingy that we can do to know which one is the faulty ones. anyone know about this? or could it be a loose sensor or dirty one.

thanks

thierry

thanks for the reply.

just came back from training and as i was getting out of the gate on a slope i just lost my brake the and the landy would not stop until i pull the hand brake. but the thing is that the abs was kicking but it would'nt stop... pretty scary and ideas

I had a problem with my ABS kicking in when in slow corners etc and just coming on when not expected, mine turned out to be the tyre pressures were way out hence the wheels turning at different speeds and causing it to kick in and then over heat maybe not that fault as I didn't get brake fade but worth a check.

thanks i'll check it. its scary driving and you don't know if the brakes will work. i've heard removing the abs fuse ubder the bonnet will make the abs stop working but brake will still work normally.i might do that temporarily but i want to get at the bottom of it

• 1 month later...

Hi Thierry

I have a very similar problem and it almost brown trouser stuff, how Landrover got away with the design is beyond me however, the ABS system arms itself once the vehicle starts to move, and voltage is detected from the sensors, if at any point after that voltage drops after wheel spin up then the ABS believes that the vehicle is in a skid condition and actives the ABS once brake pressure is applied, you then get next to no braking. So we have a fail hazardous condition. You need to find where the signals are being lost, the paper clip test is the first stop. I am toying with making up a little wire harness to monitor the output voltages but at the moment I have stop using the car because of this condition.If anyone is expert on the system further isolation of the fault could be provided in that the systems doesn't record the problem as the system failure that is actually was. That's about a far as I have got with my investigation.

Good luck

Neil

hi

i'm having some trouble with the abs system. it's a disco 1 300tdi. so sometimes when i'm driving the abs light comes on but its kind of a very fade lights and turn off after a few seconds. also sometimes the abs over-react specially if im turning at very low speed (like getting in the drive way) i read some articles that if the abs is not working properly it could disable the whole braking system! and also there's a code reading method thingy that we can do to know which one is the faulty ones. anyone know about this? or could it be a loose sensor or dirty one.

thanks

thierry

I had this problem on my 96 disco 300 tdi. very scary, the ABS would cut in at the slightest touch and actually prevent me from stopping the car! So the ABS doesn't always default to a safe mode.

I just unplugged mine temporarily while i sorted the problem so as not to kill myself or anyone else.

The problem turned out to be a very poorly cv joint and needle roller bearing, new cv and bearing and its good as gold now.

Steve

Hi guys

i still have the issue. i've remove the abs fuse for now and i'm going to rebuild my front hub both side in the near future. but even with no fuse the abs light does'nt come on and the bulb is fine. sometimes it comes on while driving and turn off. i try the paper clip but the warning light did'nt even light up. so i'm not sure what's wrong here :huh: