Webasto/Eberspacher in SIII 88

tiagoc

I have the oportunity to get one of these, to install in a SIII 88 soft-top:

- Webasto Thermo Top C, from a VW Touareg (7L6815071D)

- Eberspacher (model unknown), from a VW T3

They're both 12v and run on diesel. Price-wise, they're very similar. Condition: both used.

The Eberspacher needs a control unit: Eberspacher 20 1575 500 000 / Hella 5 HB 003125-01. It comes complete, including the faulty unit and the timer (not sure if the exhaust or silencer are also included).

The Webasto includes the diesel pump, and connects to the Touareg's CAM-BUS.

I prefer the Webasto, because of it's compact size. But I'm not sure if it'll work with the Series' non-existant ECU... I've read this topic, but it's about a different unit. I've also seen some ThermoTop C installs in Land Rovers, but mainly TD5. There's this one for a 300Tdi (anyone from here?).

What unit should I get (from this 2, or what other model should I consider)? Is it possible to install the Webasto in the SIII?

if it is a Webasto thermotop C then a 12v activates the heater, one plug has the power connections, and another plug has a 12v switch , power to fuel pump , power to internal fan, and others, so is real easy to install

cheers Brian

Thanks, Brian!

If the timer is not included in the sale, I'll just use the ON/OFF switch.

So, the TTC helps to heat the engine coolant, without starting the engine. Right? What about the interior and windows demist? I don't see any pipe output to the vehicle's interior.

I also found some other PDFs for the TTC, where a summer/winter swith is mentioned. If in "summer" mode, it just operates the TTC fan, without heating the coolant, and sends the air to the interior. But where are the pipes to the interior?? :|

Yes, the heater heats the coolant, before engine is started. the heater just "Tees" into the existing pipework between the engine and existing heater matrix (internal heater),do be honest I don't have mine wired for the demister fan(existing vehicle fan), so it won't drain the battery. I'm sure in summer mode , the heater heats up to few degrees less

cheers Brian

My "problem" is that the SIII doesn't currently have any heater or demister fan. So, would I be able to use the TTC to heat the engine, as well as the interior?

If fitted, the TTC will be the most technologically advanced device in the Series...

the webasto does not have a fan. The webasto will heat and pump the engine coolant around the engine. It is up to you to install your interior pipes, heater matrix and fan, and then it will heat the engine and interior as designed.

cheers Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Finnaly, got the Thermo Top C at home. It doesn't have the wiring, but this seems easy to do (even without the original 6-pin and 2-pin plugs).

But it also doesn't have:

- the exhaust silencer. I'm thinking on running a flexible exhaust to the rear or somewhere below the engine. Do you know if the silencer is a must?

- the air intake silencer. To keep it somewhat "waterproof", the idea of connecting the TTC air-intake to the engine's air filter has crossed my mind. The filter will have a paper element (not the standard SIII oil bath) and be connected to the snorkel. Will this have any negative effect on the engine, when the TTC is running?

- the dosing pump. Will it run fine, if a T is placed between the tank and the standard SIII diesel pump?

Thanks!

- the exhaust silencer. I'm thinking on running a flexible exhaust to the rear or somewhere below the engine. Do you know if the silencer is a must?

As far as I'm aware they're only an optional extra. I run my D2LC with no silencer and it's fine.

- the air intake silencer. To keep it somewhat "waterproof", the idea of connecting the TTC air-intake to the engine's air filter has crossed my mind. The filter will have a paper element (not the standard SIII oil bath) and be connected to the snorkel. Will this have any negative effect on the engine, when the TTC is running?

Is there not a danger that any vacuum in the air intake tract will overcome the heater and stop it from working properly? Bear in mind the post-filter side of the intake will always have a slightly lower-than-ambient pressure when the engine is running just because of the restriction of the filter/snorkel. I don't know if it ultimately *will* matter.

- the dosing pump. Will it run fine, if a T is placed between the tank and the standard SIII diesel pump?

Is that not exactly how the installation manual describes the plumbing anyway? :unsure:

As far as I'm aware they're only an optional extra. I run my D2LC with no silencer and it's fine.

Great! :D

Is there not a danger that any vacuum in the air intake tract will overcome the heater and stop it from working properly? Bear in mind the post-filter side of the intake will always have a slightly lower-than-ambient pressure when the engine is running just because of the restriction of the filter/snorkel. I don't know if it ultimately *will* matter.

Good point. Maybe it's best to connect it to the pre-filter side, then? :huh: I don't believe it will restrict the amount of air that goes to the engine...

Is that not exactly how the installation manual describes the plumbing anyway? :unsure:

The manual describes the use of the dosing pump, that I don't have. It should be:

tank -> T -> dosing pump -> Webasto

tank -> T -> diesel pump -> engine

So, if I don't have the dosing pump, it will be:

tank -> T -> Webasto

tank -> T -> diesel pump -> engine

But this way, the juice will not be pushed into the Webasto... right?

To make things a bit more dificult, I'll have a twin-tank install, with a 6-port Pollak. So, should this setup work?

tank #1 -> diesel filter #1 -> Pollak - diesel pump - T - engine

tank #2 -> diesel filter #2 -> Pollak - diesel pump - T - Webasto

Does this make sense? Or do you see any problem?

In the Webasto manual, it says to connect the dosing pump before the diesel pump, to avoid excessive fuel being delivered to the dosing pump.

Um, you need the dosing pump for it to work, the Webasto has no other way of drawing fuel into itself - and if you connect it to a fuel line with any sort of pressue in it, it will fill the combustion chamber up and it will just do an impression of a very small volcano, then cut out.

(...) it will just do an impression of a very small volcano, then cut out.

eheheheh interesting, but i'll try to avoid that (i've seen some youtube videos with very/scary smokey webastos!)

so, the final setup should be along this line?

tank #1 -> diesel filter #1 -> Pollak -> T -> diesel pump -> engine

tank #2 -> diesel filter #2 -> Pollak -> T -> dosing pump -> webasto