Transmission problems

Hi all

I have done a massive 120 miles in my 90 since it passed its MOT the other week, and this is the total number of miles it has done in the last 3 years. When I parked up today I noticed a leak coming from the gearbox area, coming down the transfer box looking like it came out of the filter plug in the gearbox.

So this afternoon having googled this I decided to crack this plug off and see what was going on. Firstly the oil is a pinky red from this plug and the oil on the ground was green, so as this appears to not be the leaking oil. I presume it's coming from the transfer box and not the gearbox. Secondly, when the filter came out of the gearbox there was the remains of what looks to be an 'E' clip, as well as a few little lumps of crud. Should I be worried about this?

Not having one of these before I am not sure if they are generally noisy on the transmission or if the noise I am hearing is the sound of the mud terrain tyres on the road. There does seem to be a whining noise in 4th and 5th gear, but I don't know for sure. Gear changes generally seem OK, but it has popped out of 1st gear once and reverse seems to only just go in. It does 'clunk' a little sometimes when pulling away, but the clutch is pretty heavy so I put it down to that.

Any advice will be greatly received.

post-16902-0-46731500-1300223166_thumb.jpg

Hi all

I have done a massive 120 miles in my 90 since it passed its MOT the other week, and this is the total number of miles it has done in the last 3 years. When I parked up today I noticed a leak coming from the gearbox area, coming down the transfer box looking like it came out of the filter plug in the gearbox.

So this afternoon having googled this I decided to crack this plug off and see what was going on. Firstly the oil is a pinky red from this plug and the oil on the ground was green, so as this appears to not be the leaking oil. I presume it's coming from the transfer box and not the gearbox. Secondly, when the filter came out of the gearbox there was the remains of what looks to be an 'E' clip, as well as a few little lumps of crud. Should I be worried about this?

Not having one of these before I am not sure if they are generally noisy on the transmission or if the noise I am hearing is the sound of the mud terrain tyres on the road. There does seem to be a whining noise in 4th and 5th gear, but I don't know for sure. Gear changes generally seem OK, but it has popped out of 1st gear once and reverse seems to only just go in. It does 'clunk' a little sometimes when pulling away, but the clutch is pretty heavy so I put it down to that.

Any advice will be greatly received.

When you said the filter plug is this the picture you mean. This is an image of the gearbox extenuation case. Is the clip metal or brittle. If brittle number 2 if metal could be number 15 hope this helps :)

post-8867-0-88421100-1300292414_thumb.jpg

Funnily enough I found a rebuild walk through today and in looking through it I think this is the part in your picture too. The question is, how important is it? What damage has been done or is being done with this floating about inside?

Also, I still need to figure out the leak from the transfer box...