Portal Tek Disc Brakes

Pete Boy

Hi,

Having picked up my Portal Tek brakes at the weekend,(thanks Jen :D ),i need some wheel studs,anyone got any ideas where to source some? Land Rover ones wont fit as the hubs are threaded.Also any info on wheel back spacing would be most appreciated as would some pics of the kit installed.Im sure i read somwhere that some rims get quite close to the calipers.I would prefer to keep the track width as close to standard as possible.Tyres are at present 35x10.50x16 simex.It doesnt look like rocket science but every bit of info helps. ;)

Thanks

Pete

Hi,

Having picked up my Portal Tek brakes at the weekend,(thanks Jen :D ),i need some wheel studs,anyone got any ideas where to source some? Land Rover ones wont fit as the hubs are threaded.Also any info on wheel back spacing would be most appreciated as would some pics of the kit installed.Im sure i read somwhere that some rims get quite close to the calipers.I would prefer to keep the track width as close to standard as possible.Tyres are at present 35x10.50x16 simex.It doesnt look like rocket science but every bit of info helps. ;)

Thanks

Pete

Hi,

The rims do run quite close to the calipers! But any LR rim should suffice with an offset to your suit own taste. These pics help at all?

post-9107-0-64226600-1300743424_thumb.jpg

post-9107-0-78676600-1300743448_thumb.jpg

post-9107-0-09720700-1300743461_thumb.jpg

For studs just buy some HT bolts (and cut the tops off) or studs and wind them in, good idea to stick a weld on the back too. Last lot we did we got a bunch of studs made to order. I think it's M16x1.5.

Wheels - Disco steels / RR/Disco alloys will fit, my 8x16 modulars fouled the calipers but I ground a bit off the calipers to suit (do this at your own risk!). Standard LR 16" rims will very much not fit. I'm not sure about other rims, it's a job for the tape measure really.

Where are you guys getting those discs from ?

Anywhere that sells wilwood stuff, there's a co in the states that sells pattern discs for ~$25 (last I bought) but obviously the shipping can knacker any saving versus just buying Wilwood ones in the UK.