Help on procedure for starting a v8 first time in 7 years

v8classic

You can see the inlet valve rocker on cylinder 1 through the oil filler hole, visually it lines up with the 'pipe' (for want of a better word) on the inlet manifold not the 'pipe' on the exhaust manifold. You will see it open and close before piston 1 comes to the top again. You know when piston 1 is at the top through either looking at the front timing marks and setting to zero, or if your not confident in these marks sticking a blunt object through the plug hole, you will see a point where you notice it stops coming up and a point where you notice it starts going down, you want to be inbetween the two. Then pull your dizzy cap and see if the rotor is pointing to plug lead 1. Whilst your there check your firing order is right. These things have to be done whilst turning the engine in the direction that it runs. If any of the above are wrong the rotor will be in the wrong place, as all the above is by eye your not going to be spot on but they are a forgiving engine so you should get it to go. Once you are sure the rotor is in the right place if it still won't fire but does splutter then try turning the dizzy whilst someone else cranks it.

If it still won't fire but there is fuel in the cylinders (wet plugs or smell) try resetting your carb mixture, its a long time since i've used an SU but i think basic starting point is all the way in then either 1.5 or 2.5 turns out?

If it still won't fire check your compression, there could be a bigger problem, i helped rebuild one with some parts off a spare engine I have a few weeks ago where the teeth had stripped off half the drive gear that drives the dizzy so it was turning but not always at the right time.

• 4 months later...

Well im back and still not started unfortunately. I havent had much time with the old girl recently as i have just bought a house. I had a good weekend on it a couple of weeks back and did everything that cynic-al said. It is now coughing and spluttering again but still not firing. I have taken a video of it and up loaded it to youtube. was wondering if u could have a look at this link and watch the video see if there is anything else u could point out. In the video i am turning the engine over while turning the distributor slightly.

Also when i turn the ignition on the fuel pump pumps the fuel through but never seems to stop. i dont know whether it is flooding the engine? Thanks in advance any help is greatful!!

The pump will run continuously, you may hear it change speed slightly as pressure is reached, it will slow down. With pump running if you listen carefully you may hear fuel splashing back into the tank via the return. This is a good sign thay fuel is moving as it should...

Looks like its back firing to me. I would try turning the dizzy whilst someone cranks it to delay the spark. Failing that I would take the timing cover off and check the timing is set right and the drive gear for the distributor is ok. Timing chains are very cheap I would consider changing it, I couldn't believe how slack mine was. Beyond that I guess its heads off and check the valves are shutting off. Last thing i can think of is no oil to the rockers so they're not opening the valves properly or the cam / push rods / rockers / valves are badly worn or the valve springs are broken.

Do you have the air filter disconnected? This may alter your mixture a little. Also are you using the choke? There are some really good videos by a guy called university motors on you tube for setting up an SU.

Best of luck :)

Just watched the video- looks like the timing is well out and its backfiring through the intake? I would say its definitely timing over a fuel problem (although the fuel may not be right either, that can be sorted later).

- Remove passenger side rocker cover and turn engine over until number 1 (Cylinder 1 is nearest the dizzy.) is at TDC - so both valves will be fully closed. If you have the rocker cover off on the other bank then I believe pot 6 will be fully open at this point.

- Check dizzy- look at where the lead for pot 1 is.

- Remove dizzy cap - is the rotor arm pointing at where the same place where the lead was connected? Should be roughly there. If not, adjust.

- Once thats ok and engine is on TDC with the rotor arm pointing towards the lead for number 1, then put dizzy cap back on.

- Check all the other leads are connected in the correct firing order which is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Even cylinders are on drivers side, odd ones are on passenger side.

- Once this has all been verified try again.

You can check what the engine is from by looking up your engine number here:

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/engineno2.htm

Engine number will be on the block below passenger side head near dipstick or across the back of the engine at the top where the bellhousing bolts up.

I have a Weber/SU Haynes manual that is excellent- will send you a link via PM when I get the chance to upload it somewhere.

Good luck :)

• 2 years later...

Hi all hope you are well. It's been a while since I last posted and unfortunately the rangy is still not started or finished! I have been rather busy over the last year or so as I have bought a house and the rangy went on the back burner for a while. Anyways I have been doing the odd day here and there of welding and it's getting there slowly but surely! I have decided to leave the engine and finish the back off first before I take something else to pieces. I have removed the rear axle stripped it and rebuilt it and that's ready to go back on. I'm needing help with what to do with the wiring. As I have Said previously it's been standing for around 10 years now and I'm not sure which lights are working if any! What would be the best way for me to test if everything is working ok? I'm going to try and upload some photos so you can all have a nosey. Cheers in advance!