Yellow Flag terminals

jad

Hi

I wanted to get some yellow flag terminals for the wiring on my heated windscreen but cannot find them anywhere! I can find red and blue ones but not for the life of me yellow ones....

Does anyone know of a supplier?

Thanks

Jad

the lucas one? I only see standard spades terminals from them which we have already. But i wanted flags to keep the tabs off the windscreen straight.

It is being done properly..... by my dad, he has done a lot of wiring in his life. Im not so confident with it, so he comes in handy!

If by Flag you mean the ones where you can piggyback another terminal onto the back of it, then CPC have them in their special offers at the moment. Just bought a bag as they were very cheap. Watch out for postage though - might be more than the terminals!

Unless you buy the proper crimping tool. Not the five pound one at least the thirty pound one you can't cripm those terminals correctlt

Get the proper ones like this http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/photo/00513.jpg

If you take your time you will find the sheaths as well.

Which relays are you using ?

Remember to do the windscree you must only be able to switch it on with the engine running. That means very complicated wiring. Wiring through ingnition is not good enough.

those ones are not big enough for the wiring, hence the search for yellow ones.

the relays were from vehicle wiring products.

My dad will have done the wiring properly

Does anyone know what type of crimping tool you need for these ebay

The right sort of tool for flags, is something like this;

The right tool

When you have got back up off the floor, terminals like:

Yellow Flags

Can be crimped in a normal insulated crimp tool as they have the barrel out of the side.

What wire size is it you need to crimp- the uninsulated flags are available in larger sizes than those listed in VWP;

Large Flags

You can request samples from the tyco website

Edited by Superpants

What sort of heated windscreen do you have ? I wasn't aware that any windscreen needed a 9.3mm [3/8" terminal]. All mine has is the normal6.3mm [1/4"] terminals. I used 28/ 0.30mm cable

The Windscreen is only heated at 12 minutes a time.

The right sort of tool for flags, is something like this;

The right tool

:blink: :blink: :blink: erm yeah not gonna happen.....

When you have got back up off the floor, terminals like:

Yellow Flags

Can be crimped in a normal insulated crimp tool as they have the barrel out of the side.

How did you find these??? If they can be done with the normal crimp tool then they have got to be a winner!

What wire size is it you need to crimp- the uninsulated flags are available in larger sizes than those listed in VWP;

Large Flags

You can request samples from the tyco website

:rolleyes: good idea!

What sort of heated windscreen do you have ? I wasn't aware that any windscreen needed a 9.3mm [3/8" terminal]. All mine has is the normal6.3mm [1/4"] terminals. I used 28/ 0.30mm cable

The Windscreen is only heated at 12 minutes a time.

I have the heated windscreen with 2 live tabs on the outside and earth in the middle (Defender) and all the links to the terminals have been for 6.3mm....... you cannot have used 0.3mm cable that is way too small would fry in seconds surely? I think my timer relay is for 10 mins.

I've use 28/012" cable. Or in modern terms for your benefit 28/0.30 cable. Plenty able to cope.

I used 44/0.30 for the earth. That easily fitted the 1/4" terminals.

Well it's been in ove a year now. Well used. No evidence of volt drop or frying

I take it you've rewired your headlights with that cable as well ?

How did you find these??? If they can be done with the normal crimp tool then they have got to be a winner!

Whilst they might not be classed as conventional automotive suppliers, Both Farnell and RS carry a lot of very useful parts. I work in automotive electrical design and find if I only want a small quantity of parts they are often a good place to start looking. Both are also expanding their ranges of specific automotive connectors such as econoseals. The prices aren't necessairly keen, but with no minimum order(if you have an account), free next day delivery & online ordering they get used an awful lot.

Most of the retail automotive electrical suppliers are buying most of their stock (Rash generalisation of course) of these sorts of parts from one of three main trade suppliers. We have the catalogues for these at work, so if I can't find the part in one of these then it's time to look elsewhere...

Sorry mike I am with you now. took a little while to catch up.... Ill check to see if the smaller connections will fit at all. the same size cable has been used for earth and 12v. which i think may be the 44/0.3. If we cant get them on then I may reduce the size of the live cable.

I havent touched the headlight cabling. still the original, havent had a problem with them though, they seam plenty bright enough.

Remember to do the windscree you must only be able to switch it on with the engine running. That means very complicated wiring. Wiring through ingnition is not good enough.

It's common to use the oil pressure switch or the alternator to drive an ignition relay. Also you can fit a voltage sensitive relay, though I find these can trip in and out at idle.