Help! J&P Duplex Timing Gears

orangebean

Hoping there's someone out there who can explain the markings on my J & P timing gear set.

The crank sprocket has 2 sets of markings, one on the teeth face and one on the hub face (see pic (attached) which seem to differ (offset to each other) by 2. The cam sprocket has a single dot on the tooth face. The duplex chain has a split link in it.

Whilst I can set the cam timing correctly with a dial gauge and degree disk using random slots and teeth it would be nice to understand what the markings mean and achieve at least an approximation of what the manufacturer intended!

Thanks

Mark

post-26310-0-32691300-1302366798_thumb.jpg

Hoping there's someone out there who can explain the markings on my J & P timing gear set.

The crank sprocket has 2 sets of markings, one on the teeth face and one on the hub face (see pic (attached) which seem to differ (offset to each other) by 2. The cam sprocket has a single dot on the tooth face. The duplex chain has a split link in it.

Whilst I can set the cam timing correctly with a dial gauge and degree disk using random slots and teeth it would be nice to understand what the markings mean and achieve at least an approximation of what the manufacturer intended!

Thanks

Mark

Set it 0/0

The other marks are for setting the cam advanced

Nige

Set it 0/0

The other marks are for setting the cam advanced

Nige

Thanks Nige- it's which markings are actually 0/0 that are confusing me. On standard gears I'd just set TDC and point the two dots together. These ones have too many options! After months of cleaning and replacing bits to make my own version of V8 prawn I've got to the point of my own mental block over this. At least I'm past the "just eBog the whole thing as an unfinished project" though. That was last Tuesday!

Thanks Nige- it's which markings are actually 0/0 that are confusing me. On standard gears I'd just set TDC and point the two dots together. These ones have too many options! After months of cleaning and replacing bits to make my own version of V8 prawn I've got to the point of my own mental block over this. At least I'm past the "just eBog the whole thing as an unfinished project" though. That was last Tuesday!

Update:

I'm still looking for some information on how J & P intended the markings to be aligned. There must be someone out there who's fitted this camchain set to a V8 from new and can enlighten me? I've emailed J & P but no reply. :(

I can help you set these up but need clearer idea of whats on what

In simple terms often there is a "0" or a "Box" shapoe, this is Zero, then there is 2 4 6 etc

These markings should appear on bothe large and small gears, you should have the large gear and

small gear fitted so that the "0"s or "Boxes" are in line vertcially

If its a pure vernier cam adjustable gearset then these are a nightmare, and have to be degreed in

no easy way, which is why Mr Eales sets them then welds then up with 3 x blobs :rofl:

Post up some clear detailed pics

Nige

Mr Bean- try v8forum.co.uk, they have done most things on the RV8 over there...

Quag- :hysterical:

After a REALLY sh!!ty day trying to remove 2 dowels from a timing case and failing dismally, thanks for the Mr Bean- I'd honestly never spotted/ thought about that interpretation of the nick- and I've used it in various places for ever!

I'll have a dig around the V8 forum and again, thanks for cheering me up :lol:

I can help you set these up but need clearer idea of whats on what

In simple terms often there is a "0" or a "Box" shapoe, this is Zero, then there is 2 4 6 etc

These markings should appear on bothe large and small gears, you should have the large gear and

small gear fitted so that the "0"s or "Boxes" are in line vertcially

If its a pure vernier cam adjustable gearset then these are a nightmare, and have to be degreed in

no easy way, which is why Mr Eales sets them then welds then up with 3 x blobs :rofl:

Post up some clear detailed pics

Nige

Thanks Nige- the pics were the best of a bad lot as I'm not allowed to take any digi cam into the oily fingerprinty environment that is the barn except a 10 year old kodak that even the kids won't use :(

I'll knock up a couple of quick sketches of the J & P setup which (falling back on my 35 year ago Tech Drawing O level) will hopefully explain the layout better. I've seen your reference before to Mr Eales welded vernier setup and can understand exactly where he's coming from :)

More to follow

Mark

Quag- :hysterical: After a REALLY sh!!ty day trying to remove 2 dowels from a timing case and failing dismally, thanks for the Mr Bean- I'd honestly never spotted/ thought about that interpretation of the nick- and I've used it in various places for ever!I'll have a dig around the V8 forum and again, thanks for cheering me up :lol:

Glad to be of assistance :D