TD5 Conversion

Gents,

Forgive me if this has been asked a million times...

I have a 110 TD5 but I am missing my V8, couple of questions:

Would a 4.6 mate up to my gearbox?

Would my gearbox hold up to the power for a reasonable length of time if driven sensibly?

Cheers,

Mick.

The 4.6 was never mated to an R380, but the 4.0 was (in DII and early P38a), so there are suitable bellhousings available (FTC4791). Not the same as for the TD5 unfortunately.

I've been driving a Range Rover with a mildly tuned 4.6 and a (new) R380 for over a year now, as a daily driver, occasional towing and regular greenlaning/offroading. If you don't trash the box around, I'm sure you (we) will be able to enjoy it for a long time. ;)

And a Defender with a V8 must be great fun. :)

I have a 4.6 in my 90". it was a 300 tdi originally.

The box is the 300 tdi r380 which went to Ashcroft and had the mainshaft changing for a v8 one and a v8 bellhousing fitting. Its running megasquirt and is lovely if not thirsty.

Is your td5 ok or knackered? i'm thinking of fitting a td5 instead of the RV8.

The biggest benefit (if you live round London) is the v8 makes it LEZ compatible (i have checked)

Steve

I've had the 4.6 in for over a year now with the R380 which incidentally being a tdi one is the weaker R380 (the later td5 r380 is stronger) and the gearbox is fine. We have abused it at full revs on a regular basis including low box with difflockers etc and racing in Romania and various winch challenges. We destoyed plenty of engine mounts out in Romania so you can see how much we ragged it!. You really don't notice the first gear difference in the real world, in fact it is much better for pulling away when towing heavy trailers.

I may be tempted to go auto if i keep this engine though.

Steve