Gear sticks tunnel alignment problem!!!

Hello all, I have a little problem i could do with some help with... Rebuilding my 1990 def 90 at the moment, new galv chassis, new suspension and all bolts etc, sec hand 300 engine from a disco, def r380 box.

Now, I repaired and painted the old seat box, fitted a new r380 tunnel flange thingy, handbrake plate and fitted the bulkhead diaphragm, I bolted up the seat box and dropped the second hand grp or whatever tunnel in, but the gear sticks are not in the centre of the tunnel opening itself. I was wondering if there is any reason for this and is there anything I can do about it. The engine and box sit very straight in chassis but sticks are too close to seat box!!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys..

As said the bellhousing on the standard R380 is longer than on the earlier box.

In origional fitment the engine sits several inches further forward to put the gearsticks in the right place.

If you have a 200tdi chassis then you either need to move the engine mount on the chassis (not ideal if it is galvanised), make some new mount to bolt to the engine so it moves, change the bellhousing to the short R380 type (not that common) or get the older style gearbox.

Simples option with al the stuff you current have may be to do some adjustment of the gearbox tunnel till it fits.

Cheers for the replies, the problem is I bought a 300 tdi chassis and all the parts (as far as I am aware) that lr would have fitted out of the factory... The plan was that it would all fit without a problem, it is at the most 2 inches out of centre. I may have to bodge it, but just cannot understand how it don't work..

Is there any difference in disco/defender engine mounts or engine side mounting bracket??...

Cheers for the replies, the problem is I bought a 300 tdi chassis and all the parts (as far as I am aware) that lr would have fitted out of the factory... The plan was that it would all fit without a problem, it is at the most 2 inches out of centre. I may have to bodge it, but just cannot understand how it don't work..

Is there any difference in disco/defender engine mounts or engine side mounting bracket??...

defender 300tdi engine mounts here http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/31/52780/

discovery 300tdi mounts here http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/32/45302/

Thanks disco Ron and western for the reply, the diagrams that western showed of the engine mounting set up on a 300 tdi whether disco or defender appears to be identical, certainly for a 98/99 as I believe mine is.

This would suggest that it is either the tunnel/seatbox set up, which lined up fine when bolted in, or something to do with the box, which is extremely unlikely.... Still can't see why I'm having this problem.....!!!!?

Might be time to get the fibre glass kit out and alter the tunnel, not ideal but hey att least it will go off fast!!!...

Thanks chaps for your help, last night I got the grinder to the tunnel, and basically just changed the angle where it meets the seat box and removed a bit from the top too and got it to fit all screws in and everything, with a bit of re-drilling. Still can't understand the fitting issue, but all is good.

Possibly welding the batt box changed the shape of the seat box slightly but still puzzled!!!...

Next question for the expert panel..... prop shafts, my old Td shafts apparently won't fit yet I bolted the front one on to check and it appears ok?!!.. However may have sleeved it together a little more, this gap is prob needed for axle movement, so maybe I need 300tdi ones but there would be very little diff in the overall length between the two shaft types, only mm's from rough measuring.. Anyone done this conversion and remember what to do about this, any help would be great, ta...

Just done the 300/380 conversion on my 110V8. I went off to Richards chassis who supplied me with the original galv chassis for the V8. I bought a galv gearbox crossmember which puts the boxes in the right position for the original props. Whilst there I measured a couple of there 300tdi chassis and the engine mounts are 62cm from the front member. Also bought some of their engine mounts as well.

The engine mounts are universal as my motor is out of a Disco. If the engine goes in the right position and the gearbox sits on the crossmember then all should line up. I found the sticks came up 1 1/2 inches further back than the V8 tunnel so ended up buying a 300tdi/TD5 tunnel. Maybe you got sold a V8 tunnel ?

I had the same intention as you to make is as factory fit as possible, having had an EFi / Auto in my 86 110 it made parts a challenge. The seatbox is my only problem now as it had to be cut at the front to clear the gearbox.