Which to choose? 300 or TD5

JemFI

Hi Everyone

I know this might be a big topic that is always going, but what would be better to have, a 300Tdi or TD5 Discovery?

I used my current one for towing a small trailer(one that a quad bike can fit into) and off roading.

Regards

Jeremy

It depends what you're looking for buddy. My dad has a TD5 and I've got a 300.

I prefer the drive of the TD5 and, ironically, my dad prefers the drive of my 300, but the mpg is loads better on mine.

The TD5 is a lot more refined and has bags of torque. The downside is there's a lot more to go wrong.

I keep nagging my dad to get his chipped/remapped. Then it really will fly.

• 2 weeks later...

TDI easier for the home mechanic to work on, less complex. The niggles for TD5 (such as "3 amigos", ACE problems, front wheel bearing/hub assembly) can add to the cost of ownership.

TD5's newer, more refined, later TD5 (after 2001) had lots of niggles sorted.

I guess it depends what you want to pay! A 2002/2003 pre-facelift TD5 is a great motor, a facelift arguably better again (but more money).

td5 every time. Its like chalk and cheese to compare the two!

Early td5 will not be much more £££ than a late tdi - both will be rotten, both will have their foibles and need tinkering with. So might as well get one that is much nicer to drive and much more powerful.

dont be put off with the electrics and gubbins on the td5, it is easily fixable by the home mechanic. The only thing you cant do is reset the ecu of fault codes, but that aint the end of the earth. Get it chipped, or a dastek unichip on it and the thing really flies and will return over 30mpg on a manual. Be aware of the massive road tax hike on anything but early td5, so earlier disco 2 motors are more sought after than 02-03 plate models and their price reflects this.