Mud flap Brackets

AdeParko

The 300tdi I bought has only got the small rusty remains of what used to be the mud flap brackets; the same on all 4 corners

I have purchased new brackets from LR, but wondering on how I fit them or the best way to fit them?

The fixings on the original bracket are rusty, so will need cutting off, but didn't want to attach them withou asking first

How are they fixed? Is it a bolt and nut? Or are they fixed nuts into the car?

Thanks

Ade

I can't remember but I think mine were something like a coachbolt through the front floorpan. Mate, beware of what you do as it (job in question) could snowball lol....

The floorpans are notorious for coroding inside the seem sealant where it appears ok from first sight...

If the brackets are this bad....be prepared for some nasty surprises....

And its a slightly bigger ballache job at front...door carpet rail gotta be unscrewed to peel carpet back....3 bolts through the floor pan...I would cut em...with minimum whacking...

I replaced my floors anyway here but I was doing repairwork....

Be ready for wet carpets ...another shock find...

Rich

The floor seems OK (Famous last words...) The brackets/fixings themselves are rusty and it looks like the mudflaps have been torn off taking half of the bracket with them

I'm wondering whether I can grind the nut off from underneath, and replace the original bolt and nut combination with a rivnut

Looking at the link above it looks like an M6 x 16mm bolt

I have some stainless steel M6 riv nuts; what are peoples thoughts about using them to hold the braket to the floor?

Thanks

Ade

I mounted my mudflaps on the rear bumper. They are "rally" style and so far have proved to be superb. They don't get damaged off road no matter what I do with them and still work at keeping the spray/muck down. Keeps the trailer spotless also! Don't see me replacing them again :P

Can't find a photo at the moment, will try and get one later.