Freelander Gearbox Problem

dcwalk

Hi all,

I have a problem with my 2001, 1.8L, petrol Freelander, manual transmission, mileage 53K, clutch and selector fork changed 10K ago. When the engine and gearbox are cold, gear selection including reverse is easy and smooth but after 20-30 miles it is difficult to select 1st and 2nd and reverse can only be engaged with a crunch. 3rd, 4th and 5th appear relatively easy to engage. No obvious noises from the gearbox. The car has had an easy life and has never been off-roaded. No checks have been made, gearbox oil level check would seem to be top of my list. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Regards.

Hello Mr Newbie...

Oil level would be my first port of call.

These boxes seem to be prone to problematic reverse selection where they just pop out of gear sometimes, but if its crunching then you could have a slightly more serious problem.

If its not the oil level, then I'd flush out the oil that is in there and put some fresh stuff in. Make sure you use the correct oil (I think it uses MTF94... I'm sure a responsible adult will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong.).

Next I'd check the hydraulics and the metal plate that the slave cylinder fits on to. The plate has a tendency to bend, eventually one of the lugs will snap off and your slave will be merrily dangling in the breeze. Its a 10 minute job to change and only costs about a tenner.

The hydraulics are a sealed unit, if they are buggered you simply replace the whole thing.

Anything after this is a gearbox-off job really.

The clutch could be dragging slightly (problem I've recently had with mine 12k miles after fitting a new AP/Borg & Beck clutch). Once you get the clutch cover off you will see blue-ing of the cover plate.

Unlikely that your fork is sticking as it was only recently changed, although this is apparently a common problem on the PG1 gearboxes.

Anything after that you'll be getting into gearbox internals really.

I've just fitted the correct gearbox to mine, so have a 1.8 petrol gearbox going spare if you want it.

Good luck!

Dan

Hello Mr Newbie...

Oil level would be my first port of call.

These boxes seem to be prone to problematic reverse selection where they just pop out of gear sometimes, but if its crunching then you could have a slightly more serious problem.

If its not the oil level, then I'd flush out the oil that is in there and put some fresh stuff in. Make sure you use the correct oil (I think it uses MTF94... I'm sure a responsible adult will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong.).

Next I'd check the hydraulics and the metal plate that the slave cylinder fits on to. The plate has a tendency to bend, eventually one of the lugs will snap off and your slave will be merrily dangling in the breeze. Its a 10 minute job to change and only costs about a tenner.

The hydraulics are a sealed unit, if they are buggered you simply replace the whole thing.

Anything after this is a gearbox-off job really.

The clutch could be dragging slightly (problem I've recently had with mine 12k miles after fitting a new AP/Borg & Beck clutch). Once you get the clutch cover off you will see blue-ing of the cover plate.

Unlikely that your fork is sticking as it was only recently changed, although this is apparently a common problem on the PG1 gearboxes.

Anything after that you'll be getting into gearbox internals really.

I've just fitted the correct gearbox to mine, so have a 1.8 petrol gearbox going spare if you want it.

Good luck!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments. Have just visited my local auto shop and they have sold me 75W/90 semi-synthetic transmission oil GL5 - they claim it should be fine in the Freelander gearbox but after googling MTF94 spec it seems quite a bit different. Anybody have any thoughts on this ?

Regards, David.

Well I've checked Rave, and the spec for the PG1 is MTF94 or for topping up only ACEA A2 10W/40 viscosity. It would appear that 75W/90 is wrong. Be wary of anyone that says "it should be fine," though that probably discounts 95% of the advise from forums ph34r.gif

• 8 years later...

I have recently replaced all bearings,seals in pgi gearbox,intially it seemed to be quieter than before but there are some noises.Lower gears theres a slight whine as you go faster theres a bit of a groan type noise at about 30 mph at approx 50 mph it gets worse,in gear out of gear,no throttle dos'nt to seem to make any differance.Correct oil grade used,any ideas