Striping a TDS

has any one stripped a TDS

mines needs a good service me thinks its slipping now and again like the brake isnt working or isnt engaged but sometimes it works very strange i know but it needs to be sorted

i also read somewhere that if you remove all the silly grease that they build it with and use something a bit thinner it makes it work even better

any ideas and tips would be great

thanks

Nobby

Dave - How much of the one shot grease pack did you put in?

I personally haven't stripped a TDS, but I guess it's like an EP9, which I have stripped and that was faily simple to take apart. I put sealent on all the mating surfaces when it went back together.

There's some tech on the EP9 in the tech archive here.

Steve

Dave - How much of the one shot grease pack did you put in?

I personally haven't stripped a TDS, but I guess it's like an EP9, which I have stripped and that was faily simple to take apart. I put sealent on all the mating surfaces when it went back together.

There's some tech on the EP9 in the tech archive here.

Steve

Steve properly not enough is the answer! :huh: The old stuff was really thick and was everywhere but the CV grease is very thin in comparison... About a 1/3rd of the bottle that it comes in (britpart as its a bottle rather than a squeezy tube) I have also done what Steve mentioned and used sealant to seal the mating surfaces. :)

Dave.

I guess that would make sense as I put in just over half of a one shot grease sachet.

The motor end is a bit coroded and dirty, so I've stripped it and it just needs cleaning now, hopefully the other end is still all sealed and should still work fine!

Steve

Stripped mine recently, very simple inside, and the gearbox end was still very well sealed, no corrosion at all, which is not what can be said for the Bowmotor on the other end :x

The brake is serviceable by just removing 3 screws IIRC, then the cone comes off and you can inspect the pads/surfaces etc, delving in further give you the gearbox two halves and three stage planetry gearbox, which can only go back in one way, so no problem at all really.

Silicon afterwards to re-seal, and a smear of grease on the drum end plate seals before reassembly.