front callipers

ricky tango

Hi.

Have just modded my disco to vented discs I used Defender 110 callipers. STC1266 + STC1267 ( they may have updated the part number now ) I used Island 4x4 for all the bits (disks,callipers pads etc).

They are single line vented

hth

Andy

Hi andy thanks for that ar you still using the STD stc1285 non abs 300 tdi master cylinder ? Reason I ask is the 110 Calipers run 44mm pistons rather than the 41mm pistons and I was wondering if the STD master was man enough ( although this on mine will also be new shop bought as I'm removing my rrc abs and refitting a complete new 300 tdi braking system but wanting to keep my brand new vented disks on my rebuilt axles so !!! I now have all my part numbers for the complete system :) thanks guys

Hi andy thanks for that ar you still using the STD stc1285 non abs 300 tdi master cylinder ? Reason I ask is the 110 Calipers run 44mm pistons rather than the 41mm pistons and I was wondering if the STD master was man enough ( although this on mine will also be new shop bought as I'm removing my rrc abs and refitting a complete new 300 tdi braking system but wanting to keep my brand new vented disks on my rebuilt axles so !!! I now have all my part numbers for the complete system :) thanks guys

Hi,

My Disco Is a 97 V8 with ABS. originally it came with solid front discs with single line callipers.

I am still using the original master cylinder and I've not noticed any great difference in peddle pressure since fitting the 110 callipers. the pads are HUGE compared with the original disco ones. I didn't measure the piston diameter of the old or new callipers so cant speak here with authority but my understanding is that the piston diameter of the 110 callipers is greater than the ordinal disco pistons.

At the same time I also fitted braided brake lines front and rear, however, the front ones now go straight to the calliper with a banjo fitting and I have done away with the small copper brake pipe that links the calliper to the hose. The rear braided lines go from the T piece at the diff straight to the callipers. So there are no hard lines on the rear axle at all. (David at Llama made all my hoses and was very helpful helping me decide the best fittings)

I think it's a very worthwhile mod, especially if you're running larger tyres. I've been very impressed with how the breaks now perform.

Oh and just a small P.S

My Disco had just passed its MOT on the old brakes but after all my brake mods I had the MOT guy have another look at them, he was quite happy with the mods and gave the whole system a thumbs up.

Andy