Help Request - 2nd Hand Disco2 or Disco3?

missingsid

My mate has had to scrap his Toy*&a Surf and has 13K to spend on a Disco.

He has an offer of a 98,000 mile Disco3 Diesel or look at less miles in a Disco2.

Sooo.

What is the experts (or you lot!) view/suggestion please.

Cheers,

Marc.

Totally different vehicles in my opinion, and something a test drive of both would quickly decide!

As a family/daily drive, for the same money, I'd get the D3 hands down.

If he's just going to use it for work etc, trash it/break it/abuse it, buy a cheaper D2 and keep the savings for repairs.

I never warmed to the D3, and having driven one a few times, I can agree it's a fantastic car, but just not the Land Rover for me.

As such I kept my D2 for almost 10 years, and 180000 miles from new. I now have a 2nd car (xc70) for longer journeys and the D2 is a hobby/weekend care an dalso my workhorse for DIY tasks (of which I have a lot!). After a few test drives, I couldn't quote warm to the D3, or I would have had that as my only car, as it should do all the D2 does, and all the xc70 does...

Agree with above, D3 great family car, better legs for long journeys. I like the slightly agricultural D2. D2 should be quite a bit cheaper to run.

My D2 will be swapped for a Defender soon I think... :rolleyes: probably says it all really!

Don't think it was Ben Nevis - it was a much smaller (and quieter!) hill near the top end of Scotland...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/extras/production_notes/disco_up_mountain.shtml

Ah yeh can't be BN as this staterment "So we decided to take the new Discovery not just off road but somewhere no car had ever been before.". A few cars have been up BN I think?

But it did not seem too bad off road anyway?

Marc.

It was Ben Tongue: "A steeply-sloping hill on the north coast of Sutherland, Ben Tongue rises to 302m (990 feet) 1ΒΌ miles (2 km) to the east of the Kyle of Tongue Causeway."

I think all Landies are good off road (especially where they have low ratio box, and adequate ground clearance). The D3 is made even easier by the Terrain response. I have driven one off road and it really was very good. The one I used was Auto - just point and go - amazing!

It was so "point and go" and powerful/comfortable/quiet that I fet quite detatched from the off-roading compared to my manual D2 - where I have much more to think about than "point and go"...! You may like that, or you may not...your preference!

Thanks,

The commentgs about detachment off road makes sense. Another friend had a RR based on the same chassis and was good off road but a bit boring as the electronics did it all.

Marc.