steering drop arm

hi to all

i have been offered a 4 bolt steering box off a 1998 discovery that has a flat type drop arm.what i want to know is this. will this bolt straight on to my 1987 ninety so that i can get rid of the replaceable ball joint.i realise that i would have to change the drag link and also get a damper relocation kit as well.what else would be required if any thing or what have i missed out.many thanks in advance :)

Hi there, I have just done similar, But replaced the drop arm only ( not the box) on a 51 Plate TD5 90, parts used were a disco drop arm, new drag link with 2 ball joints and a damper relocation kit jobby, I got all my parts fron glyn lewis, but should be off the shelf from many others

P.S its years better ( as in lack of vaugeness)

I have a disco drop arm, it's kinda easier than the defender one as you can use a greasable ball joint on the trackrod and it is also so easy to replace when needed. Trouble is you need a adaptor to attached you steering damper, QT services do one of these, I mean it's not really a trouble, just makes servicing the ball joint way way simple. Here is a picture.

post-4517-0-55143200-1305367617_thumb.jpg

No reason at-all bob............. it just means the damper will be a bit more prone to damage thats all!

I recently did this mod, but i made my own bracket to connect the existing damper to the steering arm..... took about an hr including making the bracket.......

Take the best of both vehicles - use a QT or similar adaptor to keep the damper in the defender position and use the disco box and drop arm to get rid of that stupid ball joint. Putting the damper on the track rod is a backwards step.

Before using the disco box, you might want to check the pipe unions are the same thread as your existing one. If they are not then just use the drop arm.