Low Range Selection

eastw77

Hi, I went out offroading yesterdsy and the old girl was not too keen on going into low range. No problem moving the lever but there were some crunching noises when trying to engage low range and diff lock. Once into gear it kept jumping out and I had to hold the lever over for a while for it to stay in. It's a 1988 with the LT230 transfer case and a ZF4HP22 automatic box which was in neutral and the vehicle was stationary. Can anyone offer any advice on what the problem could be?

• 2 weeks later...

Transfer lever to 'box linkage not allowing the gears to engage fully? It's not uncommon for the initial selection of low-range to produce a slight 'crunch' but I've not had one jump out of gear, though to be fair I don't off-road Classics, just select the low gears & diff-lock monthly to keep the system operational. Could this task (not being performed?) be a clue to your problem & is this the first time you've used it in anger? Sorry I can't be more helpful, hope you get it sorted.

you're much better with the vehicle moving slightly at around walking pace or less when changing from one ratio to the other, this gives the ratio change gears to align with each other and they'll slip in together.

If too much force is applied to try to get it "to go into gear" when it's not lined up just right, then you will bend this piece of the linkage, then it will never go in correctly again.

med_gallery_2_304_202463.jpg

Note; it's a right sod to change as well!!