Cost of Welding Gas

mickeyw

As BOC don't mention proces on their website any longer, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on current costs for Argoshield light.

I'm thinking size X and/or Y, whatever you can tell me:

Bottle rental charge,

Gas charge

Any other charges they like to impose?

Not worried about delivery costs as I would collect.

And before anyone suggests it, I have emailed BOC but no response so far :(

Thanks,

My current prices sheet (dated 1st October 2010) tells me:

Bottle rental charge - Argoshield X is £61.20 p/a - Argoshield Y is £78.10 p/a.

Gas charge - X is £28.10 - Y is £37.45.

Collection charge (yes they charge you to collect a bottle, on top of the gas re-fill above) - £11.90.

All ex-VAT.

If you need more updated prices, try phoning BOC in Crawley, or if they're shut then the welding place that is an agent for BOC can give out prices and are open later than BOC I found last year :)

My current prices sheet (dated 1st October 2010) tells me:

Bottle rental charge - Argoshield X is £61.20 p/a - Argoshield Y is £78.10 p/a.

Gas charge - X is £28.10 - Y is £37.45.

Collection charge (yes they charge you to collect a bottle, on top of the gas re-fill above) - £11.90.

All ex-VAT.

If you need more updated prices, try phoning BOC in Crawley, or if they're shut then the welding place that is an agent for BOC can give out prices and are open later than BOC I found last year :)

Thanks very much James.

Which welding place are you thinking of? Valentine Welding are history now :(

Michael, James I can think of at least 6 of us locally who are being bent over by BOC, how about trying to get a bulk order discount from hobbyweld.co.uk or www.adamsgas.co.uk ?

Geoff - I must agree the BOC account option is hard to justify as a hobby user. I'm sure high volume commercial users get good discounts that aren't offered to us mere mortals. The Hobby Weld option does look good from a no bottle rental perpective, and a clear winner over disposables.

I notice some disposables must be at a higher pressure than others, see here

Today BOC costs are:

Size W volume 11.3m3, refill 41.84, monthly rental 7.70 and an environment and energy surcharge of 1.09p per cylinder

Size Y volume 4.8m3, refill 37.45, monthly rental 7.05 and an environment and energy surcharge of 0.90p per cylinder

Size X volume 2.4m3, refill 28.10, monthly rental 5.50 and an environment and energy surcharge of 0.90p per cylinder

Fixed charge for delivery is 42.55 or if you decide to collect from one of our local stores you pay a handling charge of 11.90.

If I have figured this our right, for a size Y: All costs for a bottle with 1 year rental is £134.85. So 4800 litres equates to £0.028/litre, oh plus VAT of course. Obviously if it takes more than a year to use the bottle the cost is much higher.

Hobby Weld suggest the disposables work out at 33ppl, and that their bottles cost 2ppl (no doubt before carriage) but that still looks good compared against BOC.

Looking at HobbyWeld, they have no stockists on our patch. I think they would deliver over our way but at quite a cost. Maybe bulk ordering would help here.

I can't find any info on their site about volume of gas in their bottles (other than 23 times disposable bottle). If they are at a lower pressure than BOC you'll get a lot less gas per cylinder dimension. They mention 2hrs continous welding, I've no idea how long you could weld for on a size Y bottle, but I've had mine at least 5 years. Welding jobs come in phases. I won't touch the MIG set for a couple of months, then a whole raft of jobs pop up, depends what I break :lol:

<SNIP SUMS>

Looking at HobbyWeld, they have no stockists on our patch. I think they would deliver over our way but at quite a cost. Maybe bulk ordering would help here.

If we get enough people then a bulk delivery should be cheaper or even collect from HobbyWeld or Adams, could combine it with a trip to the sea side, plenty of room in the playbus for lots of bottles ;)

There's a huge amount of information at mig-welding.co.uk.

Lots of options an phone numbers, thanks.

There's a huge amount of information at mig-welding.co.uk, a whole forum section in fact, including a spreadsheet comparing prices, and details on the various DIY-friendly rent free solutions.

Good link thanks Luke. I was aware of the Mig Welding forum, but certainly hadn't dug that far into it. Lots of reading to do.