Talk to me about Range Rover Classic bulkheads

mwgriffiths

Alright guys and gals, I've got some questions for you:

1. What differences are there between RRC bulkheads? Could a last-of-the-line one be fitted onto an early model? I assume heater elements and so on are different?
  2. Do you know of anywhere that does repair footwells or an exchange unit like you can find for Series motors?
  3. Has anyone galvanised one before? I'm keen to get mine solid again and try to keep it that way for more than two minutes :P Did it warp in the process?

I think that's all of the questions for now :)

And because this topic is quite boring as a reward for getting this far, have some shamelessly stolen pictures of Range Rovers:

2111-Land-Rover-Range-Rover-off-road.jpg

1970-land-rover-range-rover-1600x1200-image-2.jpg

Matt

2 door and 4 door A posts are different

Early 2 doors had bolt-apart front sections.

I believe the footwel cheeks changed slightly around the EFi time to mount relays etc, as would have the bulkhead to accommodate the extra cables.

1994 brought the softdash and the dash mounting points changed accordingly.

I think the bulkhead general shape remained roughly the same throughout the lifespan.

Later cars (86 on?) had concealed bonnet hinges, the bulkhead was a bit different as a result, plus some of the strengtheners etc are not there because they don't have to take bolts anymore as they are for spotwelding.

I have a brand new late model bulkhead here on the shelf so i compared.

And because this topic is quite boring as a reward for getting this far, have some shamelessly stolen pictures of Range Rovers:

1970-land-rover-range-rover-1600x1200-image-2.jpg

I just like the photo of the 2 door. It is very close to the colour that I will be painting my 2 door Ute. I did not realise that I was painting it an original colour. The photo has also given me an indication of what it will look like.

This is a photo of the colour I will be painting it.

post-21949-0-38342400-1306451148_thumb.jpg

There are a few changes with the softdash bulkheads in a addition to the mounting brackets - heater pipe holes in completely different places, for instance. Probably nothing that couldn't be addressed if you're okay at fabrication, but a lot more hassle than getting the right one for the car.

Those are some fantastic Photoshop skills! The goal for mine is the original image :)

The colour is Tuscan Blue, paint code LR236 if that's any use :)

Cheers for thus replies guys, looks like I need to avoid avoid the later models if I want a drop-in replacement.

Those are some fantastic Photoshop skills! The goal for mine is the original image :)

The colour is Tuscan Blue, paint code LR236 if that's any use :)

Cheers for thus replies guys, looks like I need to avoid avoid the later models if I want a drop-in replacement.

I had already purchased the paint and the colour I am using is a Ford colour called Bionic Blue. It is a bit brighter than the Tuscan Blue, but close enough to get a reasonable idea of how it will look.

I think you will find that the 'Soft Dash' bulkhead is considerably different to the earlier models. I think the wiper motor is mounted in a slightly different location, the part under the scuttle panel is curved and is susceptible to corrosion. The lip for the hinges is different as well. I think the window surround is different as the 'Soft Dash' has a bonded screen!

Internally it is even more different. The mounting for the steering column and the pedal box are different. The dash mounting brackets are also different.

I was led to believe that you could not swap these bulkheads over, but I am not convinced that that is true, but have not tried it myself. I dream of a 2-door soft dash!!! One day.....

I'm of the opinion that it is possible to use these bulkheads on earlier models, but there are a lot of bits and pieces to change. If you install a soft dash as well, you're task will be considerably easier. The bulkheads from the 300TDi Discoverys are also the same. You could even fit a Discovery dash :o

With regard to earlier models, all models up to the 'soft dash' are almost identical except that the door pillars are different. Originally the welded body shells used the same components as the bolted bodyshells, just welded together!