droning noise

hi all,d90 1987 200tdi coversion, i had a droning noise on the 90, so i removed front propshaft and put in to difflock and drove about three miles noise had gone completely, would a warn flange in the diff cause this noise,or would it be the flange on the gearbox end,when parked i can rotate the gearbox flange11/4", the noise always got louder the faster i got, is there any pictures out there of a good flange, and a bad one, haven'nt put prop back on yet i want to try and solve it asap, :(:huh: :huh: cheer's dinky

Then you've got a knackered pinion bearing, and probably a knackered ring and pinion gearset too as a result :(

Almost certainly the cause of the whine, this sort of whine tends to stop if you take your foot off the throttle, or remove the prop as you say.

Then you've got a knackered pinion bearing, and probably a knackered ring and pinion gearset too as a result :(

Almost certainly the cause of the whine, this sort of whine tends to stop if you take your foot off the throttle, or remove the prop as you say.

could it be shims are to thick on the tail bearings of the pinion shaft,if i tighten the castle nut, all i'm doing is pulling the pinion towards me but if the shims are to thick would they prevent the tail bearing from sitting in the races properly, but saying that the split pin is in the hole of the castle nut, just a thought,