300TDI Radiator/Intercooler

The Rad is buggered and the intercooler is looking a bit rough aswell. Are there any other possibilties other than the stock Radiator/intercooler? On the parts list, i have been told that there maybe a "Heavy Duty" option available?

Any info, opinions?

I know there are a few options with the intercooler, but i dont wish to fork too much. The option for a large intercooler is an option i am not interested in. Stock or a good upgrade though would be.

Truck is used primarily Off-Road

Cheers

Guest diesel_jim

Allisport can make a HD rad, same physical dimensions but with a higher density matrix (or summat like that!) which is supposed to aid cooling. Andy chaplin had one in his 2.8Tdi 90 in malaysia and didn't suffer any overheating probs. i've got one on order.

they make intercoolers too, can make a high efficiency one that will drop in where your old one used to live.

they're only the other side of Gloucester, not far away.

Gave Allisport a ring and they do some good options. But at the moment i think i shall stick with a new stock part (Cheaper) £200 from Bearmach gets the intercooler and rad ready to slot in.

One quick question? I would like to leave the Fan cowling off permenant, so i can clean the Rad/Intercooler more thouroughly. But common sense would tell me that it helps with the cooling? I assume the air is drawn in and concentrated due to the cowling?? Or am i just being a dumb ass? Any comments....?

Cheers

I run without the cowling or a viscous unit, never *noticed* any difference at low speeds.

The cowling is a bit of a pants design around the intercooler anyway, I would certainly expect the intercooler to perform better at speed without it as the flow through should be a lot better.

I did toy with putting on some extra fans for the intercooler, couldn't do just one fan for rad and intercooler coz of the pipework, but a couple of 5" fans might do the job with a manual control for when to turn them on. That would defintely be better than the cowling.

Other thing is having ditched the cowling so many jobs are easier now that I couldn't put it back on or I'd go mad.

If you're really worried about cooling performance, take the radiator to any rad reconditioner and they will be able add an extra row to the core.

My old truck had an uprated cooler in the original location. With a pump tweak it made enough of a difference to performance.

With the shroud removed, the fan will suck air from in the engine bay, instead of through the radiator core. So it just circulates the hot air in the engine bay and doesn't help cooling. You might as well remove the fan.

I run with no cowl and no fan on a 300Tdi - no issues except when working the engine hard offroad or last week when I blasted down the motorway then stopped in traffic - then the temperature creeps up but it's controllable by using the cab heater (although in the current weather it's not pleasant!)