Disco 2 V8 Going to Africa. Help! Expedition Advice needed.

Ok i have a Disco 2 V8 and i am driving across the Sahara in it March next year.

We are going in convoy of Series 3's to Gambia where i am building a school for charity, thats the purpose of the trip. After that i dont know where i am going to go in it, perhaps further into Africa or perhaps ship it somewhere. The initial trip is only 3 weeks to get there, much of that on tarmac.

Now i know its possibly not the ideal vehicle for expeditions due to its electronics and fuel consumption, but its what i have and i need to make it work!

I could do with sensible and ideally positive feedback on any or all of the following please:-

1 I am fitting under body protection, front winch bumper and rear HD bumper, rock sliders (all bought job lot second hand)

2 I want to change to coil springs all round but could do with advice as to which brand and if should get a moderately rated one and use air helpers...

3 I am fitting an aux battery and national luna split charge system.

4 Fitting aux dump fuel tank (80L), probably internally as i bought one on ebay off a bobtail.

5 Fitting water tank, not sure where yet, maybe under the sills or internally (if i can find any space)

6 Fitting draw system in the back and plywood shelving to take Hannibal Wolffe Storage Boxes. (All seats have been removed) Any ideas or photos on layout would be welcome.

7 G4 roof rack fitted and howling moon tent, shower skirt and i have a 2.5m Eazi Awn retractable awning or a 2m Hanniball (again i get carried away on ebay!)

8 I have no idea if its worth doing anything to the electronics, or take any ecu type spares as i wont be able to diagnose problems with that. Should i or could i do anything to protect the electronics?

9 Changed to steel wheels and General Grabber At'2.

10 Planned on taking sand ladders, recovery equipment, high lift jack.

What spares would you suggest.

The vehicle has had a thorough service, all fluids and filters replaced even waxoiled! and prior to leaving will have another major service. What else should i do to it? Was planning on having alternator and starter motors stripped down. Have replaced water pump and radiator already plus belt.

Should i do anything to the timing chain?

Should the ignition system be overhauled?

Should the torque converter drive plate be changed? (i have been quoted for this and have no idea!)

Everything else on the vehicle seems sound enough.

I have done tons of research, been to the shows, read the magazines and books but find differing opinions everywhere..... so lets get some more please!

Many thanks

No point in taking ECUs as most of them need a diagnostic system to program into the vehicle anyway so it will be a waste of time and money.

If it's got air springs I'd suggest dumping those and fitting HD rears given you will be well loaded.

Thanks Bogmaster, i see you are familiar with the d2 v8, is there any problem areas that you think i should be aware of, or is it bulletproof!?

Could the ECU not be pre programmed into the car and then taken out as a spare? Does it 'break' often or is this a step too far??

I wouldn't say anything is bulletproof but unless you drown it in a river or it leaks water into the cabin in heavy rain I wouldn't be unduly concerned about the electrics on a D2. I've had mine 9 years and no problems with anything.

I honestly don't know if you can program any of the V8 ECU's, you can with a Td5 engine ECU (preprogram injector grades and learn the security code and it is swappable in the field with a screwdriver). Others might but not sure - very few other ECU problems just a couple of BCU's and one or two others in the twelve years I have been dealing with them.

I'd certainly consider decent bumpers and if you are going somewhere rocky you might consider steering guard and fuel tank guard but of course it all adds weight and reduces payload!

I'd fit a new battery, and I'd also take a couple of spare viscous fan couplings as I think I've changed 3 or 4 on mine it has been the only significant irritation.

Replace all the plug leads and EVERY coolant hose with genuine parts.Take with you a spare air flow meter,a pair of oxygen sensors and a crank sensor.Beyond that its in the lap of the gods.Not my favourite engine/car in terms of reliability.A TDI or 3.5v8 Disco 1 in good nick would be a much better bet,but a D11 will have to do it if thats what you have.Dont worry about the Motronic engine ecu - its probably the most reliable bit of the car.Electronics wise I'd be more worried about the BCU,passenger compartment fusebox and all the wiring looms.Oh yes,take an RF receiver with you too.

After you have made sure the underdash areas have not had water in them for the last five years...... It does not help.

Thanks to you both! Any help is very very welcome. I will certainly be doing all you suggest Bogmaster

HI Ally V8

Are genuine hoses better than supposedly superior silicon or others?

I could take an air flow meter, oxygen sensors and a crank sensor, but right now i would not be sure what to do with them.. could you advise please...

How would i know that i have a problem with any of them and that they need replacing?

Could i take a spare BCU. Again how would i know it was causing a problem? What could i or should i do about the passenger compartment fuse box/wiring looms? If the BCU goes would it prevent me from driving?

What is an RF receiver, i will get one!

The disco looks like it has been looked after and not used off road much or at all, so no signs of any water and i aint planning on wading either!

I wouldn't worry about oxygen sensors, mine have been disconnected for 9 years with no bother - the engine just runs open loop fuelling and is quite happy with that. When I got it you could only get leaded petrol here so it was the first thing I did when I got the vehicle.

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I drove from Cape Town to northern Kenya through some fairly rough territory 2 years ago in my D2 V8. The only major problem I had was that the front prop shaft died (with "double knuckle)- very pricey to replace in tanzania. I took spare oil and air filters for service en-route. I did no modifications like sliders, bumpers etc and had no problems. Home made shade cloth over the radiator to catch seeds etc in the long grass. I fitted a front-runner long range fuel tank (behind right rear wheel); dual battery system in the boot with beer fridge; one extra spare wheel on the roof rack; air suspension removed and replaced with britpart springs (bit soft but still great for day to day driving- if i did it again i would keep the springs but definitely add helper springs); I replaced the air suspension compressor etc with an on- board compressor); down here BFG tyres are fairly common and were great; I removed the rear fold out seats and built brackets to hold a water tank (only 20l though)on the one side which was enough for us and the dual battery in the other side. Home made drawer in the boot was brilliant. if possible make your rooftop tent fold out over the back as it gives you an extra shelter over the back door. My roof rack wasn't too loaded most of the time (rooftop tent; spare tyre; one jerry can and firewood) however since our return I have noticed stress cracks in the door pillars where they attach to the roof. My main advice would be to keep it simple and dont get too carried away on mods that add a lot of weight. Comfort in the campsite is paramount though.

It is a brilliant car to travel in and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again

Cheers

Stewart