which head gasket?

just had the head of my 300 tdi skimmed, they had to take off 0.65mm as it was well warped, can anyone recommend which gasket i should use. would i need a head saver or will a gasket do the job?

thanks

craig

you won't want to read this but LR say in the 300tdi engine overhaul book, the 300tdi cylinder headmust not be refaced, if warping exceeds the given figures [max warpage = 0.08mm] then the head must be replaced.

as your head has had 0.65mm shaved off, it's way over the warp figure above.

copy of the relevant manual page section below. I don't know if head saver gaskets are available for 300tdi engines.

found this thread, http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49159 within the text, it says head savers are available for 300Tdi, but I don't know where from.

post-20-0-53001900-1307471077_thumb.jpg

The burn on a 300TDi engine happens within the piston crown, so the skim will only bring the valves nearer to the pistons, and this is the only consideration. You need to measure valve stand down - the distance between the face of the head and the face of the valve, and re-seat them to get the correct figure. Assuming that the old gasket was the original (or the same as the original if the head has been off before), then you replace like for like (3-hole again). If you want to check, then measure each piston how far it protrudes above the deck at TDC. The highest piston (and they are most likely to be all different), is the one you take into consideration when deciding on which thickness gasket you need. Once the head is fitted and the valve rockers, etc, are replaced, then re-set the tappet gaps (make sure the caps are in place). After a short run, check the tappet gaps again, as they tend to need doing twice.

.65mm is a lot in my opinion - I would have fitted a head saver if I had had that much alloy removed from the head.

Les.