Coil Spring Replacement

Aye up,

Whereas Ermintrude is a Series 3, she's on coils owing to a new chassis in the late 90s - probably either Designa or Lifestyle (or similar). She's sitting down at the back (more noticable as the years go by) so it's time to replace. Although most the colour has worn off the springs, it looks as though there are Disco V8 springs at the front, and D90 HD springs at the rear. I can't be absolutely sure though, as there isn't much colour left! I want to replace all four springs at this time.

I'm keen to keep it simple, and also keen to see if I can reduce the scary leaning round corners. I've heard good things about the yellow Britpart HD springs - any views?

Can I fit the same all round? What rate/length etc. might be suitable? I have heavy bullbars at the front, and it's an 88" hardtop with the 17H engine, although I may well be going 200TDi in the near future.

Thanks in advance,

TG

i'd be tempted to just put on some standard 90 springs and see how it goes. at least that will give you a nice baseline if you fancy tweaking the ride height and stiffness with some different springs later on.

Britpart yellows are really hard.do you want lifted or standard.best off getting the right springs for job they intend doing and replace them once.

Terrafirma would get my vote as they do different weighted springs for different needs.

Thanks tweetyduck, that's much appreciated - however given that I now have 5 days before we rattle off to the Pyrenees, I decided to go with the yellow Britpart springs after some good testimonials from others.... In the event (so far) I've done the back and Ermintrude is now sitting level again. Anyway, the springs we took off were both different - although both D90 springs, they were different lengths! I'll give here a road test today, but hoping to leave the front for now and take those as spares.

Cheers all

TG

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just for information I went with the standard height Britpart springs. I have to say that they were brilliant. We travelled from Cheshire to Spain with a fair bit of weight, and the car felt perfectly balanced and not too wallowing round corners. Once we got the weight out and hit the steep trails and switchbacks, they still felt just right - so if, like me, you have a Series 3a, consider Britpart springs.

But then you probably don't.

TG