Chassis mod

IVANHOE

Hi chaps,

This is my first post, My name is Andy, I used to own a 88" 2A, That went many years ago when my now ex partner said "it's the landy or me," I wrongly let the landy go for peanuts.

Well I now have a 1992 3.0L pajero on Lpg as a daily driver and a 1969 triumph vitesse convertible with a 2.5 pi engine as a toy.

Oh............. and of course a 1972 109 station wagon project. I bought it from ebay[unseen][well apart from the pics] about 3 years ago, I trailered it back from down south somewhere upto S-O-T. I parked it up at my place of work, had a little tinker, well connected a few wires and put fuel pump on etc, just enough to turn it over and get it to fire up....... it was then left and not been touched till now......... the work begins.

I should say that the story from the previous owner went............ "A gentleman started to refurbish the landy at the same time removing the 2.6 lump in favour of a v8 from an sd1, sadly he passed away and the next owner did a few bits and bobs and then it was too much for him and it was past on again, to me. I have just lost my job, and also looked around the landy and realised the amount of work needed is too much for me"

So that is where I stepped in, I have now got stuck in and started dismantling. I will link to some pics shortly to show where I'm at. My first question is........... what was this bracket welded to the chassis for, steering stabiliser maybe?http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/andyshirley/series%203%201972%20109%20station%20wagon/

Hi chaps,

This is my first post, My name is Andy, I used to own a 88" 2A, That went many years ago when my now ex partner said "it's the landy or me," I wrongly let the landy go for peanuts.

Well I now have a 1992 3.0L pajero on Lpg as a daily driver and a 1969 triumph vitesse convertible with a 2.5 pi engine as a toy.

Oh............. and of course a 1972 109 station wagon project. I bought it from ebay[unseen][well apart from the pics] about 3 years ago, I trailered it back from down south somewhere upto S-O-T. I parked it up at my place of work, had a little tinker, well connected a few wires and put fuel pump on etc, just enough to turn it over and get it to fire up....... it was then left and not been touched till now......... the work begins.

I should say that the story from the previous owner went............ "A gentleman started to refurbish the landy at the same time removing the 2.6 lump in favour of a v8 from an sd1, sadly he passed away and the next owner did a few bits and bobs and then it was too much for him and it was past on again, to me. I have just lost my job, and also looked around the landy and realised the amount of work needed is too much for me"

So that is where I stepped in, I have now got stuck in and started dismantling. I will link to some pics shortly to show where I'm at. My first question is........... what was this bracket welded to the chassis for, steering stabiliser maybe?http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/andyshirley/series%203%201972%20109%20station%20wagon/

DSC00056.jpg

That's the early type of steering damper bracket. later brackets bolted onto gussets or webs behind the dumbirons' spring mounts. There would need to be a tear-drop shaped bracket on the steering drag link (the rod from the steering relay to the near-side swivel housing arm) for you to fit a steering damper. They're "nice to have" but not "need to have" if you tend to do more long distance or main road driving, but for driving around town they will make the steering slightly heavier and have little benefit other than if you hit a kerb or pot-hole (in which case, they reduce the kick through the steering wheel).

Thank-you guys,

I may well leave it there then when I do my chassis repairs. With regards the bracket that goes on the steering drag link, have any of you got a pic of one?

cheers --- Andy ---

• 2 weeks later...

Point taken................but, I haven't repaired it yet. The pics are just after lifting the body off. A previous owner had done some work and painted it, it then stood for years.

I've now got it stripped to chassis only............ ready for welding. I will post some after pics when the works done...................... WHEN. :rolleyes::D