Prop Shaft Spares and Half Shaft Spares for the Big Trip

i'm toying with taking a few more spares on the trip. I have space for them and am not over weight.

I have UJs for both props as they are different sizes.

Should i take a prop? If so both, one or neither?

I have flanges but no CV or shafts.

Should i take some shafts and a CV.

What do you think? Is there some commonality between half shafts ? i.e front also fits rear?

The problem is where do you stop!! tow a spare LR with you for parts!! I Have a parts kit which includes UJ's, bearings, seals etc I also have drive flanges but don't carry Half Shafts or CV Joints or props. My feeling is with those bits you could get to somewhere you could get parts for example removing a broken half shaft and driving without it. Fluids and grease/grease gun are some as of the most important bits which are sometimes forgotten about together with a full set of filters which will again get you out of lots of issues with dirty fuel etc. Again everyone has a opinion on what tools to take as above the other bits outside my normal tools are Multimeter, Prop Shaft tool, and Hub spanner and lots of cable ties of all sizes!!

Jason.

I'm not really experienced in expeditions, so can't really, comment much, but I do think that the back half shafts are straight, and the front half shafts need to have something bendy (like a CV joint) to make it go round corners... ;)

Kev

Edited by MrKev

I already have the normal stuff and list is pretty comprehensive. The only additional parts i'm considering is these as the rest of the kit is complete. I think i'd be very unlucky to bust a prop or half shaft but it does happen and I suppose one axle would them become disabled if i only broke one. My thoughts are that one axle would get me to the next town possibly if the roads aren't bad which they would have to be for me to have broken either of these in the first place....so my dilemma.

Rather than carrying spare parts, fit them in place of your existing in-service parts!

[From a reliability-engineering perspective, there is a lot to be said for 'lifeing' components and replacing them after so many years/so many thousand miles. I do this as a matter of course with things like drivebelts/batteries/water-pumps/alternators. Of course, it's advisable to do this replacement a month or so before starting out on your expedition, so the new parts get a shakedown and you weed-out the 'infant mortality' failures].

--Tanuki

"The Seven Deadly Sins: Collect the full set!"

Sorry thought I had unsure.gif I wouldn't bother with prop shafts as you are already taking UJ's but if you do have space and are going to be in the middle of absolute nowhere half shafts may be a consideration as they can let go when you don't need them too. Taking a broken half shaft out and running without it will not disable your axle it just won't deliver drive to your wheels as has been shown on many occasions you can recover yourself in two wheel drive.

Jason.

Already spent two years doing that Tanuki. you might not be aware but we are leaving for 2 years at least.

Can anyone offer advice on the actual question in hand.

Where are you going as that can depend on what you take, are you going on dirt or Tarmac

Ali

I might have missunderstood a bit. Soz

Both. Dirt and tarmac. I would say a good proportion of it will be very bad track. So am I going mad are halfshafts front to back common on one side.

Where are you going on you trip

i'm toying with taking a few more spares on the trip. I have space for them and am not over weight.

I have UJs for both props as they are different sizes.

Should i take a prop? If so both, one or neither?

I have flanges but no CV or shafts.

Should i take some shafts and a CV.

What do you think? Is there some commonality between half shafts ? i.e front also fits rear?

Ok coming into this a bit late and not knowing where you are going then I will tell you what I took with me on my trip around Australia. Where there is no dealerships really to talk of out side the 6 major towns. And more importantly no communication for days and days of travel so are on you own

I took UJ's 3 off

1 reart prop as I had a 90 and they did not do them in aus so I would never find 1 off them in aus

1 CV

1Stub axle

2 sets of bearings( with gaskets )

Slave cylinder

Clutch master master

Viscous fan unit

Water pump

Prop shaft bolts,

Spare wheel nuts

Fuse and full pack of electrical connectors

Master brake cylinder

Full set of brake pads

Full set of fan belts

And all the oils need for engine , gearbox, steering and transfer box

That is about it but came back with most but would take the same again

Most useful thing was fuel tank repar putty. Can be used for lots of things. Over the years I have used it for repairing fuel tanks , holes on the axles casing, rads and to block of broken brake lines

Ali

Both. Dirt and tarmac. I would say a good proportion of it will be very bad track. So am I going mad are halfshafts front to back common on one side.

Front axle half shafts are different to rear axel half shafts. I did not take any with me

You are better of driving around any problem or fitting a winch and taking a ground anchor and winching out of anything too bad instead of going mad with the red mist. When you are touring it is not a race or competition to get threw the biggest mud hole. It is more about survival and presivation of the truck and your life. So don't risk it normal land rover size Tyres with a good set of BFG AT are a good set of touring Tyres

Ali

They are not the same front and rear also following your previous logic you would need to take spare CV joints as these could strip or get the half shafts snapped into them, I believe that you can buy a front half shaft and CV Joint as a complete unit so it would make sense to buy a complete set if you were going to take them as spares.

Jason.

So am I going mad are halfshafts front to back common on one side.

No they're not... aside from the lengths the shaft in the front will be 24 spline one end and 32 spline the other (for the CV) and the one in the back will be 24 to 24 for the drive member.

Personally I'd take the UJs and maybe a rear halfshaft or two. If you break something then drive in 2WD to the next town for repair. Okay that doesn't cover every eventuality but you can't plan for every eventuality.

Could just stick to the good tracks of course :P

Super thanks. That's all good stuff. I've been doing this on my phone all evening so once I get chance tomorrow ill post a proper reply. I have more than the spares listed. So are 110 props avail in aus? Its is over 12 months in though. In fact its the 3rd continent on the current plan.

Super thanks. That's all good stuff. I've been doing this on my phone all evening so once I get chance tomorrow ill post a proper reply. I have more than the spares listed. So are 110 props avail in aus? Its is over 12 months in though. In fact its the 3rd continent on the current plan.

Yeah all parts are amiable in Aus. We have 110's and some 90's but did not start selling the 90 until 2003 and then stopped in 2005 and now restarted selling the 90's. But due to aus being so big and you can drive a track/road ( most of the roads in the center of aus are tracks) for days and days without seeing anyone. Take the track from Kal to Ayres rock. It is 1200 miles long with one fuel stop and we traveled it and saw one other person the whole time along the track . There was no mobile coverage , no radio stations and no tv . In fact nothing so pretty much on your own . So just need parts so you can struggle to a main town , which in that case is Alice Springs which is another 300 miles the other side of Ayres Rock. My rear brake pipe broke on this track due to the bad corrugations. So I used the fuel tank repair putty to block of the brakes and ran for 500 miles on three barked to Alics Springs

Ali

Ok then i will look into carrying a single CV at least and possibly the two front half shafts. At least i'm 50% covered.

one question left. Can you really break a stub axle or does this go hand in hand with a bearing issue and that wrecking the stub axle?

Ok then i will look into carrying a single CV at least and possibly the two front half shafts. At least i'm 50% covered.

one question left. Can you really break a stub axle or does this go hand in hand with a bearing issue and that wrecking the stub axle?

I had one for if the wheel bearing damages it. Hence only one as they are all the same.

Are you running an LT230 transfer box ? If so, carry spares for the rear axle. Because you can always just engage difflock and drive in RWD with the front prop / shafts / flanges etc disabled. This will help you limp back to somewhere to fix it.

I wouldn't be too keen on doing it with a viscous transfer box although it will work.

G

When ever i've done a front cv it's mainly been the drivers side short one. If i was going i would be taking one of each & at least two cv's! Because whenever a cv has let go it's always stripped teeth from shaft to cv.

Just my two pence worth hth & have a great trip ;)