need a bigger truck!

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a quandry - an unscheduled addition to the family along with SWMBO starting work means I need to sit three sproglets plus said SWMBO with ease into my vehicle. This means the 90 sat on the drive is no longer a 'practical' option

The obvious thing to do is sell the 90 and buy a 110 - but the 90 will never be worth what I've spent on it, which grates somewhat! It would also feel like going back a step, as I'd have to re-do all the work I've done to date.

Do you think it is possible to find a 110 with a decent chassis and bulkhead that I coukd transplant all the good bits feom the 90 onto - of course it would have to be dirt cheap to make it viable. Is the running gear all transferrable, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Are there any other options I've not thought about - anyone want to part ex a 90 for a 110? ;)

All comments welcome.

Dave

Depends what your good bits are.

On a 110 CSW (of a similar age we will assume) the transferable bits would be engine/gearboxes, front axle, bodywork forward of and including front doors plus maybe some interior bits and a front propshaft! All the bodywork behind the front doors is pretty much unique to a 110 station wagon, and obviously the chassis and rear axle/propshaft can't be swapped.

110 CSWs command a premium in good nick as they're arguably the most desirable body configuration, though you might be lucky and find one with just the right bits knackered on it.

Thanks for the reply.

The 90 has had the majority of the running gear replaced or refurbed - just a t-box (which is sat on my bench) to go in.

The plan was to start on the bodywork next, bulkhead is well rotten in the top corners. The chassis has been undersealed from new and really is in pucker condition - I've no chance of finding anything in as good a nick for the same money!

I guess an ideal option would be to find an old 110 TD and swap the mechnicals - The problem being I would need the sale of the 90 to finance any vehicle I buy, which will effect what I can take off it.

Dave.

Keep the 90 and buy a car for family use?

Child seats and the middle row of a 110 do not make for easy access. I am also not sure of secure restraint points if you need a third seat?

Bishbosh - Can't afford to tax and insure 3 vehicles (wife has family car already but needs for commuting and wont drive the 90!).

Zim - I rather like the 'utility' feel of a defender - also whilst being fine playing with the mechanicals I'm no good with normal bodywork - and any RR, Disco in my price range will need work doing to it! I also have a long term plan to turn a 110 into a tourer for camping and hopefully future long range trips.

Started looking for 110's with poorly mechanicals or TD's in half decent nick (and yes I know any TD will be 'rough around the edges' by now!) Could even go for a V8 and swap the Tdi out of the 90 and sell it on with the V8 in.

I have to have a vehicle by Sept - the fall back position being seats in the back of the 90 if all else fails.

Dave.