Electrical couplings for trailer

guscor

I recently bought a new Disco 4 (South Africa).I wish to tow a 4x4 trailer. My Disco has two points for coupling the trailer's electrics - a white one and a black one. I understand the white one is for use in Britain, the Continent, etc. Howeverb can I use the white one to charge the trailer's batteries whilst travelling? If so, where can I buy a "male" coupling to fit into the "white" point on the Disco. (Male not readily available in SA) The owner's handbook is silent on this topic and the dealer's technician seems to be ignorant. GusCor

I don't think there are too many D3/D4 owners on here, it may be worth also putting a post up on www.disco3.co.uk forum. I guess it is a new idea - but I've never seen a D4 with towing kit fitted as there are only a couple here. Are you able to post a picture of what the two couplings look like? If they are standard UK electrics they may be an N type and an S type one is for trailer the other is for caravans etc I think but I must admit my trailer electrics are a bit vague!

The white is a 7S (supplementary) and should contain a permanent 12v (battery charging) and a switched 12v for a fridge!

The black is a 7N which is the trailer lights.

If you Google 7S socket you should get the pin out.

Cheers

Peter

What he said..... The black is your lighting and the White is fitted for those who wish to power their caravans using the tow vehicles battery

The standard wiring system for the 7S socket is:

green-permenant live for caravn lights

Red-ignition live for fridge

Blue-ignition live for charging battery

yellow-reversing lights

White-normal earth

Black-earth dedicated to fridge, depending on model year or caravan

Brown-unused

Note also that newer caravans use a relay to switch the green wire to the blue wire with either a voltage sensitive relay or a relay on the red wire, it limits the current draw to the trailer (moder caravan fridges are power hungry) and ensures the internal lights switch off when in motion.

The 7N (black) and 7S sockets have 13 connections in common with continental European cars/trailers. New caravans in the Uk now come with 13 pin plugs (depending on brand).

The standard wiring system for the 7S socket is:

green-permanent live for caravan lights

Red-ignition live for fridge

Blue-ignition live for charging battery

yellow-reversing lights

White-normal earth

Black-earth dedicated to fridge, depending on model year or caravan

Brown-unused

Note also that newer caravans use a relay to switch the green wire to the blue wire with either a voltage sensitive relay or a relay on the red wire, it limits the current draw to the trailer (moder caravan fridges are power hungry) and ensures the internal lights switch off when in motion.

The 7N (black) and 7S sockets have 13 connections in common with continental European cars/trailers. New caravans in the Uk now come with 13 pin plugs (depending on brand).

My "modern" caravan - 2009, switches everything apart from the fridge off when connected to the car (called the "habitation relay"). Nothing to do with power draw - that's catered for by the fact the tow car shouldn't provide power on the red unless the engine is running. The reason it's all switched off is in case any interference from the caravan could affect the cars electronically controlled circuits.

Cheers

Peter