QT front diff protector

I have bought one of these from one of their outlets for my Def 110. It sits at the back in the two bolts that normally hold the trackrod protector in place. (Still Whitworth...) But at the front there are a couple of bolts and threaded plates that go nowhere and that I can't figure out.

I have e-mailed QT for an explanation or a fitting instruction, but (as so common) no reply. <_< Can someone here assist?

The 'tabs' need to be welded onto the diff. Fit the tabs to the protector, line up the protector

on the diff and mark where the tabs come into contact on the diff HOUSING, then weld in place.

If its for a 110 front axle then its should be bolt on. The small plate fits on the top diff studs, remove the nuts and fit the plate loosely, fit the main diff protector as you described then tighten everything up. The link you showed looks like a Disco 11 diff guard which as q-rover states needs the tabs welded on.

HTH :)

Their website clearly states that it's for a 110 LHD. Some serious bending would be needed to get the tabs in contact with the diff housing for welding... If that's what needed, the protector is only half ready to be sold IMHO. :angry:

This shows the "good" side, the other is further away from the housing due to the protector not being straight. Or the diff itself...

QT_003_600_x_450.jpg

LHD ones arenĀ“t bolt on. ;)

If not, it would be nice if I as customer could be told and they at least would fit without being altered... Also the QT website says that every item comes with instruction. No, they don't! And when mailing them asking for assistance nothing happens. Not that QT is the only British company acting like that... <_<

Anyhow, I can make their "excellent" product ready myself. :rolleyes:

The type that wraps around the top to be a simple "bolt-on" won't fit a LHD vehicle because its top would foul the Panhard rod. This type is used for LHD models and also Series vehicles (where the guard needs to stop low to prevent fouling the Series' front mounted track rods) - I have one on my 109. The set up is done as per your second photo, though on my 109 the bottom of the guard is parallel to the flat of the diff housing. Perhaps the housing is larger on the Defender, but I doubt it as the crown wheel of a 3.54 would be slightly smaller than that of a series' 4.71 diff. Alternatively, the back end of the guard may have been malformed and needs a couple of washers to drop it down away from the diff nose a tad to help with front end alignment?