Should i put new springs on?

The springs on my 110 csw are the originals, so now 22 years old. It sits a little low at the back however, when loaded and driven, the height seems to remain pretty constant (all be it a little sagged at the back) - strangely, i think the leveller is still working even after all this time! I quite like the ride as it is - it holds the road nicely and handles pretty well. The question is, has it effectively lowered itself and should i leave it like this? I feel that i should fit new springs, but I'm just wondering if they will actually increase height and roll and change the ride completely. If i replace them, it will be with the softer CSW springs - i am not after a lift or to use HD springs.

doubt the boge strut is still working, the CSW springs [without the strut] are to soft for normal use, you could swap to Td5 CSW rear springs & remove the strut.

there is a load test for the strut in the workshop manual, work through that to see if the strut is upto spec/still working.

If you do replace springs (and mine were of similar age) then my recomendation is for Genuine - mine certainly made a difference but also a mate of mine who works on the things daily says he finds none of the aftermarket ones seem to last a sensible period of time. Subject to the Boge strut being tits I'd go with Western's advise and bin it, substituting a pair of standard 110 rears.

Jim

Thanks both. The reason I think the strut may have some remaining function is that when I fill up from empty, the rear end will settle lower, however, it is consistently higher after it has been driven. I realise this is only 80-90kg rather than the 650kg that the manual recommends, but it seemed like there was some function there. I'll have to test it properly as per the manual and then go from there. I'll definitely use genuine springs though-I don't think I have a need for anything else.

Get a few large friends to sit in it - measure the gap between the tyre and the arch and then go for a bouncy drive and re-measure. Simplest method for testing whether it works.I thought the self-leveller might have been working a little but after fitting a set of normal springs to it I no longer bottom out on the shocks as easily going over speed-bumps with a load.