300 TDI Head (Advice Please)

Hi All, ive finally given up and am going to but a new head for the truck.

ive been searching online for a good price and have found a no. of differing heads so now im not sure what would be best to get.

as far as i can tell a standard 300tdi head is code no. ERR5027COM which will cost about £340 for a complete jobby, but then i also found a 'new style' modified head which apparantly has better cooling code no LDF500180COM and this one only costs 10-15 quid more.

Im just looking for some advice as to what would be the better one to go for, is this modified cooling actually better? and would i be better getting a genuine parts head gasket or doesnt this matter?

thanks in advance Tom

About 4 years ago I got myself a standard Turner 300Tdi head - can't remember the price but they were brand new. Been 100% trouble free.

Fit a genuine parts multi layer steel head gasket not the composite one. Standard design of cooling on the head is fine but unless your rad is more than a few years old get a replacement. Waste of time worriying about cooling if you rad is no good and even the newest 300Tdis are around 10 years old now if not older. Your rad may look fine from the outside but I bet the core is now partially blocked.

A 300Tdi if kept oiled and watered and not cooked, will last practically for ever.

The original heads were prone to cracking (i've replaced 4 so far). This is of course caused by something else going wrong (overheating, etc). The heads that Turners sell are made in Spain apparently, and are a lot better than the originals. I bought a complete assembled head from them a while ago (valves, etc). The price was very reasonable in my opinion.

Les.

even the newest 300Tdis are around 10 years old now if not older.

Not necessarily :P

You are right on the rad though - 10 year old rads are probably due for replacement. Fins rot out, they sludge up inside and cooling efficiency drops quite noticeably.