power steering box

Peterla

Can any one help me with some info and part number for my steering box.

I have a disco TDI march 1994.

I would like to put new seals and o-rings through my steering box as I have some leaks.

From what I can see the o-rings are part numbers RTC 4825 and 4826.

The lower seal seems to be STC 2824 but I am not sure about the input seal.

Can anyone confirm these part numbers and let me know if I will need any other parts to do this work.

The box seems tight enough but is leaking.

Thanks

Pete

I wouldnt bother with the standard ones if you're going to re-seal it yourself. Fit a zeus seal which is a much better design.

Otherwise a re-con box is less than £100 now. I'd just change the box over - much less hassle and you get a guarantee!

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I wish I could get a recon one for that price over here in Australia.

It is nearly four times that price which is why I am going to rebuild it.

I did find a rebuild kit which covers all the seals in the steering box.

I will now see if i can find an expanded view to help make it easier.

Pete

Ah - d'oh! Didnt spot that - 1994 would be 4 bolt then correct?

Be wary of the re-seal kits, cause if the shaft of the box is worn then re-sealing it wont fix it! Thats why the zeus kits are nice cause they seal on a different part of the shaft to the standard seal so extending its life!

HTH

Jon

Thats why the zeus kits are nice cause they seal on a different part of the shaft to the standard seal so extending its life!

That's interesting - is this Zeus as in the purveyors of noisy cogs of (allegedly) questionable integrity for fitting on the front of one's engine? ;)

Seems like a good idea - I have had a problem getting one of mine resealed in the past because of the state of the shaft.

That's interesting - is this Zeus as in the purveyors of noisy cogs of (allegedly) questionable integrity for fitting on the front of one's engine? ;)

Seems like a good idea - I have had a problem getting one of mine resealed in the past because of the state of the shaft.

Yep..........the same lot. I'm also running their extended wheels studs - no probs with them except for the sizeable dent in my wallet.

The zeus seals are about £20 ish and the fitting instructions are non existant. Basically what it consists of is a turned steel collar that has an O ring on the inside and another on the outside. Hower the inner most one is machined so it bears on a different part of the shaft to the standard seal. Basically it relaces the inner seal and spacer thats standard fit. I found there was room to fit a standard outer seal after fitting it, which i did more to keep the carp out than anything else. I found mine (6 bolt box) was a standard metric oil seal so just ordered one up from RS for about £1.50.

Been performing faultlessly (and leak free) for 6 months now! Nice thing with it is that when the box finally dies I can pull it out of the box, and with a few pence invested in a couple of new O rings re-use it in another box!

They do them for both the input and output shafts, available separately.

HTH

Jon