Salisbury Plain: Closed.

GBMUD

OK, not quite as dramatic as the title suggests but not the usual summer of no military activity. From the document: http://www.collingbo...Final%20(4).pdf

23 July to 24 August. Germany based 20 Armoured Brigade conduct their pre-Afghanistan

exercise (PASHTUN DAWN) with 6100 troops and 300+ armoured vehicles plus jets, transport

aircraft and helicopters. Convoys in excess of 80 vehicles may cause delays on tank crossings.

In the interests of public safety permissory use of the Military Lands for recreational

purposes is suspended from 24 July to 22 August 2011. The public are requested to avoid

areas where troops are training and to keep to rights of way on the Plain. There will be no

access to Larkhill Artillery Ranges and permissive stone tracks in the Copehill Down area

(Tilshead, Chitterne & Shrewton triangle) will be closed to the public.

I take this to mean that red flags will fly on Larkhill ranges for the whole month July 24-August 22, usually the army take the summer off from training.

Copehill down is the area more usually known as 'The German village' and there are no red flags on this area ever. There are a number of BOATs in that area and it appears that these will remain open despite permissive rights on the cat1 stone tracks being rescinded.

HTSH

Chris

Yep, saw that in latest Newsletter - thank for posting though! Should have done it myself!

Roads to Imber open for a few more days than usual though :)

Off work on Aug 12th so heading out towards the "2 Droves" as I call them a little south of the Plain :D