200 TDI automatic in a Defender

Hi,

I'm playing around with the idea to put an auto-box into my 1985 "Defender" 90, which is fitted with an ex-Disco 200 TDI engine.

At the moment I've only got questions:

Will an autobox from a 300 TDI discovery fit ? or do I need the autobox that came with 200 tdi Disco's ? (is there a difference anyway ?)

What about the transferbox...keep this one ? or would it be better to get hold of a complete autobox/transferbox-unit ? (ratio now is 1:4)

Would the autobox fit the current gearboxmounts ?

Do I need to swap Propshafts ?

As you can see, all input an idea's are welcome at this point :)

Thanks !

Edwin

• 1 month later...

Will an autobox from a 300 TDI discovery fit ?

I would think so, but don't categorically know.

or do I need the autobox that came with 200 tdi Disco's ? (is there a difference anyway ?)

This would of course work, but they are like rocking horse poo to get hold of, if the 300 box can be done, do that.

What about the transferbox...keep this one ? or would it be better to get hold of a complete autobox/transferbox-unit ? (ratio now is 1:4)

I'd keep the 1.4, especially as you lose some grunt with the auto

Would the autobox fit the current gearboxmounts ?

Yes, however the autobox is 6" longer than the the manual box, so you will end up moving the engine forward into the '300TDI position' (i.e. 6" forward) which may or may not be desireable

If you move the gearbox back 6" you end up with a VERY short rear prop, and a very long front one, and custom length of course!

Do I need to swap Propshafts ?

Not if you use the same gearbox mount point, as the t-case is in the same place.

HTH :)

• 2 weeks later...