200tdi turbo and engine question

I need some advice and reassurance as I know very little about the mysteries of the (defender) 200tdi engine and turbo system. Yesterday we ran the engine up after a year of it being taken out of the old chassis and sitting in the new chassis but hadn’t been run until about three weeks ago when the engine was just left to run for about two minutes once the ignition barrel wiring had been eventually sussed out .

The thing was when we gave it some serious revving yesterday I saw gas/smoke from behind where the turbo seats when at full revs. Also the arm for the waste gate thing didn’t seem to move during this time.

The input pipe for the heater box seamed to deform as the engine was revved and the engine seemed very flat even at full tilt but then it seemed to kick in and after that was revving well.

Started by buying a truck that from and in the words of the man on ebay near Preston (A plague on his whippet) described as a “ready to go solid truck”

!! New bulkhead, chassis, seatbox, axles, suspension, lights, seats, instrument binnacle, seatbelts, inner wings, wheels, brakes, brake pipes, instrument stalks, steering pump, steering pipes, footwells, sills, fuel tank,heater box,master cylinder, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,later its nearly finnished I hope!! :unsure:

“Just like triggers broom” :(

Not unusual in the Land Rover world but enough for me a novice on a steep (vertical) learning curve.

So any reassurance and help as always very much appreciated

Cheers

James ;)

The wastegate rod won't move if the vehicle is stationery - you have to put the engine under load (drive it). Pipes will flex as the engine is revved - increased water pressure from the pump. Old hoses sometimes get soft and the pulsing is more noticeable. The engine may well play up for a while - due it being left for a year.

Les.

check the turbo to manifold nuts & the clamp for the downpipe are secure & tight

the wastegate rod won't move at idle only under load, so it needs to be driven to get the vehicle up to normal operating temps

if a heater hose is deforming there is probably a airlock in the cooling/heater system, take the header tank cap off & run the engine at idle for 10 mins to allow any air to escape & top up as required.