Anti-burst lock conversion

Hi All,

Just ordered some new door bottoms to replace my one piece lift-up handle doors from my 90 even though they are virtually rust free as I want to use some alloy military series door tops I have got in the shed. Just wondering if anyone has done the anti-burst lock conversion on a series what did you do about an inner release catch for the lock and even better if you have got any pics?

Cheers

James

Yes you have to drill the door skin to fit the anti-burst but the problem I think is how do you release the door from the inside? I thought perhaps a leever or even chain strung from the old lever that connected the interior pull handle to the door like an old train carriage set up.

I am confused here, later Series vehicles had anti-burst locks with lift-up handles (as did the early 90/110's) so what is the problem with using standard parts? I don't get the bit about having to set up a linkage with a piece of chain or a lever at all??? :(

I am confused here, later Series vehicles had anti-burst locks with lift-up handles (as did the early 90/110's) so what is the problem with using standard parts? I don't get the bit about having to set up a linkage with a piece of chain or a lever at all??? :(

Yeah well that's what I thought but it doesn't fit. And I'm sure my doors are already 'new' (ie not the original series IIa doors). The whole mechanism fits fine, it's just that the lock barrel ends up just behind the lip of the doorskin...

The OP bought door bottoms (he wants to fit doortops after all) and as far as I know they don't come with the defender style interior handle. So no need for chains/levers/magic to open the door. There's a lift up handle on the inside..

Yeah well that's what I thought but it doesn't fit. And I'm sure my doors are already 'new' (ie not the original series IIa doors). The whole mechanism fits fine, it's just that the lock barrel ends up just behind the lip of the doorskin...

The OP bought door bottoms (he wants to fit doortops after all) and as far as I know they don't come with the defender style interior handle. So no need for chains/levers/magic to open the door. There's a lift up handle on the inside..

My early 90 door locks are anti-burst and have a linkage to a remote internal catch that I think was also used on things like Marina's and that sort of thing but no internal lever is fitted to the inboard face of the lock. Thus the question regarding the release with chain etc.

sounds like they are similar to how the rear door lock fits, the key barrel sits inside the door with a black plastic clip on finisher to complete the fit & fills the gap between lock & door skin.

split doors on 90/110 had a remote internal door handle,

what part numbers do your 'new' locks have, I'll see if I can find a diagram of how the connect to the inner release.

Thanks Ralph but not to worry. I have bitten the bullet and have just ordered some of the other type of locks with the handle inboard of the lock face and new strikers and barrells etc etc £££ :wacko:

Oh well "why spoil a road for a Ha'penneth of tar" and its almost done. :)

Cheers

J