Electrical short

Hi all, just wondered if anyone can help.

I think I have an electrical short somewhere on the light circuit of my Defender 90, as when I'm driving and have the lights on, the radio goes on and off. The lights also flicker on and off when I go over bumps.

Can anyone tell me if there is any common areas to check or am I going to have to check all the wires?

Often when more than one thing is affected it's a bad earth - check your earth straps & follow the black wires to where they all meet at the body/chassis.

i have just had all of my dash off and there was no main earth for the wiring loom, i had a simaler problem but my heater light came on nothing worked but if it went out things came back on my problem was the earth on the starter motor and i have now made a new earth for the loom as well

i now have a new problem that my indicators work with out the ignishion on but i can live with that. unless any one can point me in the right direction

There is a big bundle of earths on the engine side of the bulkhead near the clutch master cylinder. Make sure that these are all clean and tight and then that the bulkhead is well earthed to the battery -ve. This particular collection of earth wires seem to cause a whole lot of headaches.

Chris

i have just had all of my dash off and there was no main earth for the wiring loom, i had a simaler problem but my heater light came on nothing worked but if it went out things came back on my problem was the earth on the starter motor and i have now made a new earth for the loom as well

i now have a new problem that my indicators work with out the ignishion on but i can live with that. unless any one can point me in the right direction

indicators now fixed a new hazared switch fix that

There is a big bundle of earths on the engine side of the bulkhead near the clutch master cylinder. Make sure that these are all clean and tight and then that the bulkhead is well earthed to the battery -ve. This particular collection of earth wires seem to cause a whole lot of headaches.

Chris

theres was only one wire there, i have also run a new earth from the loom to the main earth on gearbox

• 2 weeks later...