What Rear Axle

Hey guys,

I was thinking that I would like to put disc's all round on my 110 project. However (I could be wrong) but aren't the rear axles of 110's different from 90's? If so what axles are suitable for my 110 that have discs? Can I put a Rangie V8 rear axle on - are these the same as Salisbury axles? How can you tell what's what? (I have a 90 with discs on the rear).

Also I have a decent 10 spline Drum rear 90 diff and halfshafts - can I get a duff diff Salisbury axle and drop this in instead?

Cheers,

James

You have a few options...

Later Salisbury Axle with disks

Later non salisbury 110 axle (Td5 defenders had these IIRC)

Or some salisbury axles its possible to put the disk brake parts on instead of the drum parts.

The 10spline diff is not going to fit in the Salisbury as far as I know. I don't think it would stand up to the loaded 110 either.

The Salisbury rear axle and the rover axle are 2 completely different animals, the diff units are in no way interchangeable.

As far as I am concerned you have 4 options, first being best and last being what I plan to do but one which others have problems with for some reason.

1. Buy a complete disc braked salisbury axle from a 1994-2002 110

2. Do a disc brake conversion on your existing 110 salisbury axle (lots of internet write ups on how to go about it)

3. Buy a post 2002 110 rover axle with the P38 4 pin diff and get the longer propshaft to match

4. Build you own post 2002 type axle from a "standard" Rover axle such as the spare RRC one you have. At a minimum you will need to upgrade brakes to 110 spec and change diff centre to a 4 pin unit or a ARB locker type centre. The 24 spline shafts are the same and the axle casing is the same so strength of casing is not an issue though I would be tempted to add bracing like the Wolf Axles if going this route. You will still need to buy a longer propshaft!

I've just put a 300 tdi Disco rear axle in my 90 V8 so that I have disc's, also put a Truetrac in.

It has the integrated hub and shaft which isn't ideal, but as the whole axle was free (thanks John)it's perfect.

Works great and the brakes are much better. The Truetrac works well and you don't even know its there during normal driving. I don't do serious stuff and don't need a locker. Steve at Crowndiffs sorted the diff for me and I can highly recommend him.

Make sure your breather and pipe is clear when re-fitting, mine was totally blocked.

Also to get more articulation, the mount on the axle for the bottom link (trailing arm) needs grinding out on the upper surface, otherwise they come into contact very early.

Gravity's a myth, the earth sucks!

I've just finished converting a 110" from salisbury axle to rover axle. the axle tube was from an early disco and the diff was replaced with a Difflock kit from kam, this conversion meant that we were installing a strengthening ring on the tube not dissimilar from a 110" rover axle. It also meant there's a good strong 4 pin diff in there too. Brake parts wise you should put 110" parts on the tube and to achieve this you will need 2004> 110" calipers and disks (they are larger than say 90" or disco brake parts. your spring seats will swap straight over so you can use your springs. It will be easier if you find a 300 tdi axle to do this conversion as it will have the correct hubs. You could just put a 4 pin diff in the tube if you don't want a locker but i wouldn't recommend using a 2 pin. Also your propshaft will be 2" too short so will need lengthening or a spacer. Your best option would be to source a 2004> 110" axle complete. Salisbury axles are sturdy beasts but are subject to wear as any mechanical device would be, the issue being they are expensive to have work done on them and the last ones in production are now approx 9 years old.

The rover axle is up to the job given the right parts used and subject to how you treat it. After all a rover 2 pin axle is good enough in a daily/workhorse disco 1 or 2 and my moneys on these carrying heavier loads more regularly than a 110"! just think about how heavy the ass end of a d1 or d2 is compared to a 110"

Thats my ten pence worth :ph34r:

Steve