MS 4.6 Starting Problem

stuck

Gent's,

Wonder if anybody can help:

Recently fitted an already squirted 4.6 into my 110 and it was starting & running ok.

All of a sudden it refuses to start, problem is no spark, injectors are triggering, EDIS to coil pack wiring checks out ok as does EDIS to ECU wiring.

I've replaced the ECU & EDIS modules with new ones but still nothing.

After checking all the voltages on the ECU connector the only "problem" I can find is that pin 24 on the ECU should have 0V on it with the EDIS disconnected.

For some reason I have 11.5 V ( battery voltage 12.5 V ) with the EDIS disconnected but still get around 5.5 V AC when the engine is cranking.

Any ideas?

Mick.

As long as it has power the EDIS unit should run the ignition system without the MS ECU connected (providing it has power). I'd start by checking that the coils have power to them.

If the injectors are firing when you are cranking that would suggest the MS is getting a signal from the EDIS so the VR sensor is probably OK, that being the case it would suggest either the ignition coils don't have a 12v supply or your EDIS unit has a bad earth.

Have you connected to the MS with some tuning software to see what's happening ?

Thanks Dave,

Found the problem, I had an issue with the vacuum pipe to the ECU causing it to throw so much fuel in it killed the plugs.

Repaired the vacuum pipe fitted new plugs and she started first time

Feel a bit of a cock if I'm honest, Nige suggested plugs on Monday, didn't believe 8 plugs could die at the same time :(

I got through so many spark plugs when we set this engine up that they gave me an account and very good discount at the local motor factors! you only had to fart in the cab and the spark plugs would die (mind you so did the dog) :lol:

That last set lasted 9 months though :blink: As Nige said misfires kill them pretty much immediately and often all of them.

Steve