Inverting a sankey hitch

jameslwt

I have had a Sankey trailer for quite a few years now and towed it happily behind my 110, swopping between a NATO hitch and a standard ball if towing a normal trailer was required |(mounted on DB sliders to make changing quick). However the 110 is soon going, and we currently have a Discovery 2, but I want to keeep the Sankey. Now I could easily make the same change to the disco with the sliders, but of course there is a height issue.

I suddenly thought though - maybe the easiest option is to remove the sankey eye hitch assembly and mount it underneath the drawbar rather than the usual on top position. Making some very quick measurements (in the dark!) makes me think this might just work. Has anybody got any thoughts on this? There seems to be v little on doing this on the internet, although what I can find says it can be done. Obviously it might take a bit of thought regarding the overrun brake mechanism, but I am sure I can get round that.

Thanks

A couple of mates did this to their narrow tracks to be able to tow with their RRCs. Obviously, they lost the overrun brakes, but that's no problem over here since the brakes can't be approved anyway.

Unbraked and a total gross weight of 750 kgs is what's OK here.

Sorry I don't really understand you mean by "sliders". To me these are things attached to the side of the vehicle to prevent damage from rocks and the like.

However about trailer couplings, if you have a removal tow hitch there are combination nato style hitches you can get that IIRC fit the Sankey coupling. Like this...

IMG_0439.jpg

Otherwise, one of the local guys here who has a Sankey changed the ring coupling in the trailer to a removable hitch and then made a hitch for the ring and one for the standard trailer ball coupling. So if he towed with his Skippy he could put the ring on the Sankey, but if he used his SIIA or RRC he would put on the standard trailer coupling.

Sorry I have no photos of it. The ring he welded onto the 50mm box section and the trailer coupling was bolted onto another piece, if that makes sense.

Can't comment on the brakes. His has no override brakes since at that weight it is not required here.

Slider = height adjustable assembly for rear tow hitch - and using 2 plates - 1 with a Nato hitch and 1 with a standard towball.

That bit's easy - it's the height difference which is the issue as of course a Sankey trailer (mine's a narrow track, but adapted with a removable tailgate)has the hitch/eye at the same height as a defender rear cross member, wheras on a Discovery the towing assembly is lower down with the rear bumper above (which I don't want to adapt).

Even if I fitted a combined Nato/towball hitch, it would still be too low on the discovery to tow the sankey trailer level.

Could you not bolt a drop plate as seen on many Series Landrovers, to your existing towing brackets, and use it upside down? So it would be a riser plate rather than a drop plate.

Series drop plate

508412-BRACKET-FOR-DROP-PLATE.jpg

Back of a D2

17241d1279819776-disco-2-tow-ball-drop-plate-109_0048.jpg

The forces on the drop plate and its fixings should be the same whichever way up it is used.

Just make sure you can still open the Disco's back door once it's fitted :lol:

Also make sure the hitch doesn't foul the spare wheel as you cross undulating ground.

Could you not bolt a drop plate as seen on many Series Landrovers, to your existing towing brackets, and use it upside down? So it would be a riser plate rather than a drop plate

"therealboss" on thed2boysclub forum has done something smilar, using a 'Dixon-Bate style' :huh: adjustable coupling -

http://thed2boysclub.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4023

2011-07-27%25252008.13.18.jpg . 2011-07-27%25252008.13.10.jpg

Dixon Bate sell a two-hole slider -

Product Number: 68248

http://www.dixonbate.co.uk/spares/product.asp?PartNo=68248

68248.jpg