Diagnosis???

Astro_Al

Hi guys, well, not long after my head gasket / radiator etc etc swap, I was towing a trailer a few hours ago when I heard a bit of a funny noise - like a gear grinding or something (not changing gear, just cruising), so I got out to have a look - nothing. Figured it could have been just the usual trailer rumbles and jolts. then I noticed water dripping fast onto the ground from the engine to gearbox bellhousing mating. It is running down the nearside / rear face of the engine from somewhere I can't see.

Is this likely to be my new heat gasket (already?!), or the rear core plug (the only one I didn't replace) leaking? The engine didn't overheat - had hardly gone anywhere.

Any tips to aid diagnosis - I can't get in there enough to see where its coming from.

If it is the core plug, is there a nice easy way to get to it - drill through bulkhead from the cabin?

Cheers, Al.

Sounds like a core plug. Is it a 200/300Tdi engine?

Same thing happened to me. The core plug was corroded because some muppet had been running it with no antifreeze and when the system pressurised when the head cracked, it forced water out of the core plug. Not an easy job either, engine out time.