Different Dipstick Threads

Mr Bean

I have finally got round to removing the old engine (fantastic hole in the side!!!) and fitting the 2.25 5 bearing engine i had.

I have found that this engine is also metric where the old one was imperial.

So i bought a new dipstick from paddocks which was labelled as metric but it doesn't fit, the old doesn't fit either!!!

Is there a third size of dipstick i need?

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Trev

In what way do they not fit, too large, too small, wrong pitch thread? Do you have a vernier to measure the bore of the hole...might be able to identify it remotely!

How come it came without a dipstick?!

Hang on a minute? Couldn't you use the old dipstick in the new tube? Or was there no retaining nut on the new engine?

Sounds odd.

The tubes are interchangable, I'm using a 3 bearing tube and stick on a tdi200 block.

The issue is not with the tubes but with the nuts on the tube.

The 5 bearing engine i bought did not have one in it but when i thought i could use the old one, but that does not fit either.

So i bought a new tube and lock nut which is a similar diameter as the old one but a very coarse pitch, the old one was a very fine pitch.

I think i will have to do some measuring, i was just curious if someone knew what the two different threads are off the top of their head.

• 3 weeks later...